Algae help

I haven't seen the question that is on my mind: How did the cyanuric acid content get so high in your pool? How were you chlorinating before the algae attack? And...are you still running that chlorinating system?

I haven't seen the question that is on my mind: How did the cyanuric acid content get so high in your pool? How were you chlorinating before the algae attack? And...are you still running that chlorinating system?
I'm not sure how it got high. I filled my pool in May when I had it installed with water from my hose. I was using powder shock from pool store. They told me liquid would be the worst thing to use since I have a new liner and new pool. They suggested that since I was a new pool owner that I test twice per week. I run the pump each night from 11pm to 7am. And from 11am to 3pm. Every other day I use the auto vac during the 11-3 time. I backwashed every Sunday. I brushed it every single morning like it was a job. I used a concentrated 60 algaecide every 4 days. Based on pool tests from store and the strips, I've only ever needed to add just a small amount of ph up. Otherwise they said everything was perfect and the strips showed the same. About 4 weeks ago (beginning of July) I noticed the water looked kind of hazy. I could clearly see the bottom but it wasn't crystal clear anymore. I used some clarifier as pool store recommended. And, it got worse. Then I saw what I thought was dirt. I thought that was due to my kids not wiping their feet. As I was brushing I realized the "dirt" was poofing into clouds in the water. Google said it was algae. In 4 weeks, I've used floccs, clarifiers, powders, concentrated algaecide, clorox algaecide, xtra blue chlorine tablets, clear balance alkaline tablets. You name it, it's been in the water. On top of almost weekly drainings. Then I found this forum. I've also received the Tf-100. I started the slam as if the cya was 100. That's right about where the black dot disappears from view as of today. The water is crystal clear. The CC is now 0 and the overnight level was almost the same. Yet the algae greeted me this morning. Not as plentiful but still very present. If I could just get to the end of the season, I will drain the whole pool. Scrub it. And refill it. I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

Did you try the diluted CYA test? If so, what was the result?

The shock powders and tablets that you've been using are what caused the high CYA.

Algae water is often clear before it turns the whole pool green. When it dies it turns white. That's when the water generally becomes cloudy. Those dead algae "husks" then need to be filtered out while you maintain SLAM level FC. When they are gone, the water is actually clear!

I get the feeling you haven't actually gotten your FC to the level you need to kill the algae due to your high CYA. It must have been insanely high. No wonder things aren't falling into place with your SLAM yet. Don't view the CC results right now as if it means you're in a good spot there. You need to get the FC to the point that it attacks the algae, but it won't do that if your CYA is above 100 which is what you're using for SLAM level FC.

FWIW, draining to reduce CYA also has an added benefit of also draining out some algae water. Especially if you brush it up and get it off the floor while you're draining.

The algae you are seeing in the morning will get less and less until it is all clear. That is one of the criteria to stop the SLAM process.
You are getting close if you can clearly see to the bottom. You just happen to catch the algae outbreak early and it never went green.
If you don't want to drain, you can keep at the high FC for now as long as you understand the requirements.

As for draining and refilling in the winter./spring, I should caution you. Is this a hard wall pool or soft wall/Intex? If it is a hard wall pool, you need to leave at least a foot of water in the pool. You can damage or move the liner if you take out all the water. Even with an Intex, you don't need to fully drain it. You can leave a foot of water and refill it. It would be nice to get all that added pool store potions out of the water though.

Thank you all for your help!!! This week of trying to follow your instructions and learning about slam and the test kit has been so helpful. I won't be visiting the pool store any more. I'm just wondering why their cya test was so much different than what I've done with the test kit???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for your help!!! This week of trying to follow your instructions and learning about slam and the test kit has been so helpful. I won't be visiting the pool store any more. I'm just wondering why their cya test was so much different than what I've done with the test kit???
There's a very good reason why we don't use pool store tests to help people at TFP. Repeatedly, people come to the forum with pool store results and I'm sure are quite frustrated when they're told those results aren't valid and we can't help unless you get your own test kit. Imagine if we'd given you advice based on 35ppm CYA...

Reactions: Jo Lewis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.