Gold Supporter
Oct 10, 2021
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am new here and am looking for some advice to get through the next few days until my TfTestKit arrives in the mail and I can have more accurate numbers.

Background - I was out of town for ~10 days and, during this time, the water level dropped enough to be below my skimmer. Result was algae in my pool (based on everything I have read here, it is green). I used a bag of calcium hypochlorite last Monday (Oct 4), brushing it every other day or so, and then another yesterday (Oct 10) after noticing the algae was back. After adding the bag of calcium hypochlorite, I found this site.

I read about the SLAM process to remove algae. However, my CyA is very high - local pool store test shows 101ppm which, if I am reading this site correctly, could actually be much higher. How much higher I won't know until my TfTestKit arrives.

My CyA being high makes sense - I have been using the trichlor pucks to chlorinate my pool (which I promptly removed yesterday along with the Nature2 cartridge after getting educated on this site).

I also do not expect we will be swimming in the pool any more this season.

What can and should I do in the coming days until my test kit arrives and I can get good, accurate reading given I took out the trichlor pucks (only source of chlorine) and I have algae in my pool? After reading through this site, it seems best course would be to add bleach to keep the algae at bay until I know exactly what I am dealing with. Using the Pool Math app, an up to date FC reading from the pool store of 4, CyA value of 100 (though I know it could be higher), with a target FC of 10.5 (mid-range) shows to add essentially 1.5 gallons of 6% bleach to my 15k gallon pool. I can then keep tabs on the FC level in coming days, adding bleach as necessary, to keep it ~10-11. When I get my test kit in and have more accurate readings, I will create a new thread with readings.

Thank you!

Mfork
Hi and welcome. I guess you did some reading and are understanding your issue with high CYA. Store testing is notoriously inaccurate so you did well to order the kit. Your numbers may be way off from what they're telling you but your own testing is what we go by. For now add 5ppm daily as per poolmath making sure whatever bleach/ chlorine٪ you using. Don't use and bleach other then pure bleach with no additives such as thick or splash less which will create new issues. No pool store potions either like floc, clarifiers or algaecides which are not going to get the water better but rather complicate things more. Please fill in the signature portion of your profile so we can help the best way possible. When your kit arrives follow the instructions and post all the pool levels so we can get it going for you. No such thing as a dumb question so ask away.

Reactions: BowserB
Down here in Houston, Walmart sells 10.5% pool chlorine for around $3.85 when they have it. You might call your local store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.