Algae Dilemma

rikirud2021

In The Industry
Mar 26, 2021
Tacoma, WA
I have an 18 x.48 Coleman power steel frame above ground pool, I winterized it last year and half way through winter the cover fell in. Now it is green with massive leaves. I already skimmed all the leaves and larger debris out. The water level is not high enough for me to use the pump to filter out the algae. Should I fill it the rest of the way so I can use the pump or should I drain and clean it?
thumbnail_IMG_1907.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1907.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1907.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Here at TFP we help many folks remove algae. To do so, you will need a good test kit that is able to test FC at high levels and provide an accurate CYA reading. Those two go hand-in-hand when it comes to algae. Just see our FC/CYA Levels.

To kill/remove algae, we use the SLAM Process. So once you obtain either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or a Taylor K-2006C test kit, you will be able to follow the SLAM Process page. In the meantime, read-up on the SLAM page and the links below. Order one of those kits if you don't already have one, and let us know if you have any questions.

Reactions: Bperry
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
Yes you do have a dilemma, lol. You probably at 5000 gallons in the pool and have a slot side, with algae. You’re right at the borderline of easier to dump then to treat the water. If you have a pump to get it out and the cost of water is not too high then I would probably dump and clean the pool out before I refilled it.
The SLAM process works and it’s not difficult but it does take time, effort and chlorine to do so. For the cost of all that you could probably just put new water in and spent an hour scrubbing down the walls. Refill and start fresh.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
Yes you do have a dilemma, lol. You probably at 5000 gallons in the pool and have a slot side, with algae. You’re right at the borderline of easier to dump then to treat the water. If you have a pump to get it out and the cost of water is not too high then I would probably dump and clean the pool out before I refilled it.
The SLAM process works and it’s not difficult but it does take time, effort and chlorine to do so. For the cost of all that you could probably just put new water in and spent an hour scrubbing down the walls. Refill and start fresh.
What do you use to clean once emptied? Bleach? How much?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.