Air pockets in pool pump

Jul 10, 2018
Springfield, NJ
Hi everyone,

Been trying figure out what is causing low pressure and air bubbles in my pool pump. I’ve tried running water over the pump and exposed lines. I’ve checked the drain plugs and gasket lid. If i backwash my system a few time i can get my pump to prime. Is the next step to have someone test the pressure in my skimmer line?

Pic of my pump setup

Thanks in advance

Do the bubbles go away, every time you backwash? What is the filter pressure before you backwash and then after?

After backwashing and the bubbles go away, how long before they come back and is the filter pressure much higher?

How does the pool look? Is it green? Have you vacuumed up a bunch of muck from the pool?

Pool is clear and I have not vacuumed any muck from the bottoms.

- - - Updated - - -

Do the bubbles go away, every time you backwash? What is the filter pressure before you backwash and then after?

After backwashing and the bubbles go away, how long before they come back and is the filter pressure much higher?

Bubbles do not go away every time. I would on average backwash 2-3 times to make the bubbles go away. Pressure has stayed the same before and after 12lbs. i have never seen the gauge go higher than that. The bubbles come back 5-10 mins after.

A couple days days later I notice that my pump will lose prime so I go ahead and backwash again to prime.

Ok, sounds more like an air leak to me.

Have you tried putting pool lube on the lid gasket and drain plugs?

Another suspect is the hose clamps on the suction side of the pump. Those may need to be tightened.

The fitting going into the pump is another area where there could be a leak.

Did you try pouring water over all those areas?

Ok, sounds more like an air leak to me.

Have you tried putting pool lube on the lid gasket and drain plugs?

Another suspect is the hose clamps on the suction side of the pump. Those may need to be tightened.

The fitting going into the pump is another area where there could be a leak.

Did you try pouring water over all those areas?

i put pool lube on lid gasket and drain plugs.

I also tightened the the clamps and ran water over everything after. No luck yet.

Sometimes the water trick does not always work. Try smearing some pool lube on the pump inlet threads where it meets the pump and on the clamp fitting near the hose just to make sure. That will get sucked in and temporarily seal the leak if there is one.

Sometimes the water trick does not always work. Try smearing some pool lube on the pump inlet threads where it meets the pump and on the clamp fitting near the hose just to make sure. That will get sucked in and temporarily seal the leak if there is one.

Ill give that a try.

Is it possible that the Hayward multiport could be causing this? I know that it’s not on the suction side but I just notice water leaking from the top where the handle is.

Leaks in filters can draw in air when the pump is off but once the pump is on, there should not be any air in the pump basket.

Continuous air in the pump basket with the pump running at full speed is most certainly an air leak on the suction side of the pump.

Leaks in filters can draw in air when the pump is off but once the pump is on, there should not be any air in the pump basket.

Continuous air in the pump basket with the pump running at full speed is most certainly an air leak on the suction side of the pump.

thanks for your advice so far. So tomorrow I will put lube around the intake side of the pump and where the 2 clamps are. I’ll let you know what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so if you are certain that the drain plugs and pump lid are sealed well, the leak has to be further back.

Have you checked the skimmer weir door to make sure it is not stuck? Also check the skimmer while running and see if there is any air getting sucked down through the skimmer via a vortex.

If the skimmer is ok, then the only thing left is the pipe underground.

It sounds like that could be your issue. The water level in the pool should be at least 1/2 way up the skimmer opening. Without a weir door you may need to raise the water level so it is 3/4 way up the skimmer opening.

The weir door regulates flow into the skimmer and should allow you to run the pool with water halfway up the skimmer opening. You can get spring loaded replacement weirs online and in full service pool stores. It needs to be able to move freely without catching on the sides of the skimmer.

A weir also increases the velocity of the surface water so the skimmers work a little better and capture more debris.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.