Air leak?

Barry J

Jun 28, 2009
I have an above ground pool , just started up for the season. I have excessive back pressure coming thru skimmer after I shut off filter. A couple of things are happening. One is my suction hose broke last year, the only extra hose I had was a 1 1/4 size. The old one was a 1 1/2 hose. (i have one ordered and coming in ) but in the mean time have to run the pool. Will that smaller diameter hose from skimmer to pump cause air to come into the system? Or should I look elsewhere. There are air bubbles coming from return after running for awhile. Another thing is a drip coming from the pump drain hole when pump shut off. I bought a new plug with “O” ring and replaced but still drips. I tried loosening it , tightening it, teflon tape, lubrication, everything.
Almost ready to apply some sealant to plug and call it a day, sense I never use it. Could that be my problem or should I just try to change that skimmer to pump hose back to 1 1/2 ?? Also, before anybody ask, it is an above ground, with the system set up below the water line.
Thanks for any help
Barry

For that to occur, you must be pushing air into the filter when the pump is running. That pressurizes the filter and that air forces the water backwards thru the pump and out the skimmer when the pump turns off.. Find that suction side leak (there's an article in Pool School) and that problem will go away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.