Air in cartridge pool filter

aztechnogeek

May 18, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
I have stumped all the pool service people with this issue. Our pool does not have a dedicated line for the pool cleaner so it feeds into one of the two holes in the bottom of the skimmer basket. We also have an in-floor system which worked great 20 years ago before our trees grew up and made a mess that only the pool cleaner can handle. Now this is the strange part. If we run just the in-floor system the pool filter seems to be fine not even a breath of air to bleed out of the top of the filter. But if we switch over to the pool cleaner you can bleed the air for 30 seconds before it spits out water and even longer depending on how long the pool cleaner has been running. The o-ring and pump basket seem to be fine with no leaks. This happened right after the air filter was serviced and the cartridges washed. We also purchased new pool cleaner hoses thinking maybe that was the issue but no change with the new hoses.

We would be forever grateful and appreciative if anyone has any thoughts?

The constant tugging on the hose at the skimmer has probably compromised it and it lets air in. All vac hoses fail eventually.

Which filter model do you have ? Most have automatic bleeder tubes inside.

Hayward - W3PVS40JST The PoolCleaner 4x Suction Side Pool Cleaner, 4WD​

We have held it completely submerged in the water with not an air bubble to be seen? All the hoses have been replaced and our pool person and I had checked the old hoses and couldn't see any leaks.

We have held it completely submerged in the water with not an air bubble to be seen? All the hoses have been replaced and our pool person and I had checked the old hoses and couldn't see any leaks
But using the skimmer as a skimmer and not a vac port is fine, and the problem only happens with the cleaner. 🤷‍♂️

Which filter do you have ? They may have dislodged / broke your internal air relief tube.

I so appreciate your help with this issue! It would be interesting if it were the filter since this has happened twice and each time after the filter maintenance was performed. But our pool person swears the filter is fine. It is a Jacuzzi cartridge filter.

20240518_192855.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be interesting if it were the filter since this has happened twice and each time after the filter maintenance was performed
I believe you possibly have two issues.
is a Jacuzzi cartridge filter.
Is there a model # anywhere ?

The large models have an internal air relief tube that ensure the cartridges stay submerged. If it's not dislodged, you can only bleed off a little air no matter what.

Screenshot_20240518_224620_Chrome.jpg

That may explain so much air being stuck in the filter, but not how it got there. If it only happens with the cleaner, then it's cleaner related.

Last edited:
Here my tube and i drew in a pretend lid and water level. Yours is keeping much more air than that, providing your model has something similar

Screenshot_20240518_225203_Gallery.jpg

It's also possible the air relief knob is partially stuck or the valve is clogged. It may only be letting out a little air which sounds like a lot because it takes so long. Is it gushing with force when it comes out, or is it weak and spurt-y ?

The model is JCF425. I ran it on the in-floor last night and this morning the filter was full and spurting strong with both valves fully open. I just plugged the Hayward Pool Cleaner in and there is already some air in the filter. Where can the air be coming from? The pool cleaner is completely underwater. No bubbles in sight? Also, the pressure gauge on the filter drops to zero when the cleaner is plugged into the bottom of the skimmer basket. I appreciate you trying to figure this mystery out!

Attachments

• 20240519_134806.jpg
    20240519_134806.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: