Air bubble under pump cover

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2016
Le Claire, IA
This is my 5th year opening a pool and the first time an air bubble slowly develops under the pump cover.
What I have done to fix so far:
1) All new plumbing- fittings and ball valve, connected to pump
2) new o-ring and lube under lid. To be honest, I'm so new to this, didn't realize lube needed to be on that ring until this year. How much do I use?
3) Replaced all of shaft seal
4) All hose clamps are tight too.
5) New drain plug since I snapped off the last one trying to tighten that.

I fill pump housing, and an hour later a small bubble is forming, that was last night. This morning, the bubble is bigger, almost the diameter of the clear plastic circle. Where is this air coming in from?
How tight is "tight" on a pool?
Where and how much lube am I supposed to use?

Thank you very much for the guidance.

If you have a small bubble under the lid, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it as long as the overall water level isn't dropping significantly or losing prime. My pump does the same. I'll kick it on high for a few seconds just to purge it out. We normally relate air in there as a sign of a suction side leak, but you've addressed the most common items. As for lube, just an even, generous coating. Doesn't need to be heavy globs. But with everything above ground in your set-up, I think you've probably inspected everything very well. The only other thing you might pay attention to is when you shut-off the pump .... watch and listen for any spurts of water or hissing sounds. Also, make sure your filter is clean if needed. When my filter gets dirty, there is more water restriction and it backs-up a bit in the pump basket.

What would a hissing sound mean? Now you got me thinking I've heard that.
Like a balloon with a tiny leak, it's a very soft hissing sound of air escaping from the system when the pump is turned off, everything settles, and there is pressure looking for a place to escape. This can be a sign of a tiny air leak somewhere. Figured I'd mention it just in case.

I'm having the same issue with small air bubbles in my pump, but not as much jet pressure. still good enough to clean the pool with a manual vacuum and pool is clear, I cleaned my DE filter today, seams a little better, what about those liquid stop leak they sell anyone used it? might help both of us?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.