AGP electrical wiring question

LT80Racerdad

Jun 5, 2020
Minnesota
We are just starting the process for setting up our new AGP, an 18'x33'x 52" steel wall pool. I have done quite a bit of research on setting up the pool and running the electrical. But I still have a few questions that I was hoping to get some clarification on.

We are in NW Minnesota and the pool will be installed at our cabin. The breaker panel for the cabin is outside, on the power pole. The pool will be installed about 40ft away from the panel, and not under the overhead power lines.

I intend to bury PVC conduit from the panel for the pump power and a second conduit for the convenience outlets. 20A GFCI breaker for the pump and 15amp std breaker for the convenience outlets.

Plan to use a timer for the pump. What I'd like to do is run the conduit from the panel directly into the timer, and then run the pump cord into the timer as well. But, I was wondering, do I need a more significant means of disconnect at the timer post? Also, is it okay to cut the plug from the pump and direct wire to the timer? It is a 120V pump.

The convenience outlets will be near the pump timer post but as noted, on it's own circuit. I'll use a GFI outlet there.

Regarding bonding, I plan to bond to the pool wall at the wall seam, and around the pool at 3 other locations, assuming the uprights are steel (They might be resin, I am not sure yet). If they are resin, I'll still loop the entire pool, but only attach the bond at the wall seam, the pump and the water.

What do you all think? Is this a reasonable plan? Anything I am overlooking?

Thank you in advance!

Todd

If you're wanting to direct bury the pump cord, it's likely SOOW cord and that's not rated for DB. However there's nothing stopping you from replacing the cord and running it in sealtite conduit underground to the timer.

Regarding the disconnect - a timer will likely not serve as a disconnect if you direct wire. My AHJ let me use a twist-lock receptacle as a disconnect, but if you direct wire you don’t have the means to quickly unplug it. And a timer (at least mine) works by mechanically switching on and off, so using a timer as a disconnect runs the risk of hitting the next “on” time at the timer and it getting flipped back on.

I would either wire a disconnect or use a locking receptacle.

For what it’s worth, here’s how mine looks. The timer feeds the twist lock (lower) and the convenience outlet is on the same post (but different circuit).

EDIT: Image didn’t work. Will try again later when not on mobile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
If you're wanting to direct bury the pump cord, it's likely SOOW cord and that's not rated for DB. However there's nothing stopping you from replacing the cord and running it in sealtite conduit underground to the timer.
Thanks for the reply...I wasn't planning on DB the pump cord. That would be above ground, as if it was plugged in, just hard wired instead to timer instead of a plug. I'd run the cord through a liguid tight cord connector/strain relief at the timer.

Regarding the disconnect - a timer will likely not serve as a disconnect if you direct wire. My AHJ let me use a twist-lock receptacle as a disconnect, but if you direct wire you don’t have the means to quickly unplug it. And a timer (at least mine) works by mechanically switching on and off, so using a timer as a disconnect runs the risk of hitting the next “on” time at the timer and it getting flipped back on.

For what it’s worth, here’s how mine looks. The timer feeds the twist lock (lower) and the convenience outlet is on the same post (but different circuit).
Thanks for the reply. I was considering the same setup. I wasn't able to see any attached pics though.

Sorry about the image. It wouldn't let me upload for some reason, so I had to upload elsewhere.

Here's the image. It's all on a 4x6 treated post. The two circuits are both run using THWN. The accessory circuit ends at the higher weatherproof outlet. The pump motor circuit passes through that box, to the timer, and then runs from the timer to the lower weatherproof outlet, which is a twist-lock receptacle.

I'm still waiting on my pool to be installed, but this electrical configuration passed inspection for me.

Edit: 4x6 treated post.

Thanks for the reply. I was considering the same setup. I wasn't able to see any attached pics though.

Last edited:
images aren't working at the moment on this site. i went with a cantex 5133330 and a 20 amp standard light switch.

cantex toggle
That was my back-up plan if the inspector wouldn’t let me use the plug as a disconnect. Just have to be careful that the switch is rated for motor use. I found inexpensive ones rated for up to 2hp, but not all 20amp rated light switches are the same.
For a small pump I doubt there’d really be an issue, but an inspector might want to see the HP rating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.