AG 28' round pool liner leaking. Pool cover on and sagging down.

May 28, 2008
Jackson, NJ
I have a problem with our liner. I plan on replacing it with a new liner in the spring. It's been leaking for a few years. The weathered cover is going down with the water level. I'm concerned with the sagging cover might start pulling the pool sides in and collapsing the pool.
I'm tired of wasting money filling the pool. Public water and sewer taxes are pricey here in Jackson, NJ. Every inch of water in the pool is about 700 gallons.
(When the water level is very high, like max or overflowing at the skimmer, the water level stays high longer than when the level drops 4 to 6 inches or so. I guess there is a piece of liner somewhere that is being pushed tight and keeping the water from leaking faster than when the level drops. It's kind of puzzling to me). The liner is original, I'm not sure of the age, I'm guessing 17 years old. There are quite a few folds in the liner at the bottom and some on the sides. Repairs are next to impossible to last.
Well anyway, I am looking for advice on what steps I should take for the time period of winter to spring.
Should I leave the pool cover on? Pine needles are an issue being there are several Eastern white pines next to the pool. They are constantly entering the pool and on top of the cover. I noticed that there are a few bushels of pine needles on the pool cover right now. I'll have to scoop them out.
I just cut a few slits in the cover near the edge of the water line on the cover to alleviate the rain and snow that will further come into the pool. This is to slow the additional weight from pulling the cover and sides.
The weather for the next few days is above freezing and the water not icy. Next weekend the temperature is predicted to drop close to freezing here in New Jersey.
I'm thinking that I should remove as much water and pine needles from the cover.
Then remove the cover.
Either pump or siphon the remaining water from the pool itself onto the street or sewer, etc.
After emptying the pool, leave it for spring and pull the liner out at that time, making any needed repairs, changes, etc., just before replacing it.

I am open for all of your suggestions on what to do. Thank you!

Draining the pool will leave the walls vulnerable to caving in as there will be no water to support them incase of winds.
Removing the cover is the best option if you don’t want to/can’t refill the pool to keep the cover from pulling on the walls. Just drain & scoop when you are ready to replace the liner.
The solid cover’s job is to keep the pool clean over the winter- that function has been kind of nullified since you cut slits in it.

Another note-
if the pool is 17yrs old & has been leaking for a few years as you described there may be more damage than is repairable.
If you can see it on the outside the inside might be much worse. 17 years is a good run for an above ground pool.
Be prepared for the need to replace the pool.

Reactions: Newdude
Draining the pool will leave the walls vulnerable to caving in as there will be no water to support them incase of winds.
Removing the cover is the best option if you don’t want to/can’t refill the pool to keep the cover from pulling on the walls. Just drain & scoop when you are ready to replace the liner.
The solid cover’s job is to keep the pool clean over the winter- that function has been kind of nullified since you cut slits in it.
The cover was already in need of replacing because it had numerous surface leaks for the past few years. When I would pump off the water from the top of the cover, I could see the actual pool water leaking through the many tiny holes in it. I would notice the pool level going down as I was pumping water from the top of the cover.

Another note-
if the pool is 17yrs old & has been leaking for a few years as you described there may be more damage than is repairable.
If you can see it on the outside the inside might be much worse. 17 years is a good run for an above ground pool.
Be prepared for the need to replace the pool.
I agree with you on the service life of 17 years is pretty good! I didn't realize how old it was until I saw when I first posted here and saw the date back in 2008.
I was concerned with the dropping water level pulling the cover down and subsequently the pool wall. There may be more damage, wear and tear as you suspect of a pool this age! I'll find out when the liner is removed.
I was tired of spending all the money on the chemicals, water and the associated sewer taxes that go along with the per gallon usage. Typically, in my town, if I spend $1 on water, $2 additional dollars for local and county sewer taxes are added on the water bill. Even getting a water truck shipped in is too costly. I did that a couple of years ago using a neighboring fire department. The first load of water was crystal clear. The next 2 loads came from a hydrant around the corner from my home. It had a tinge of green in it. It took 10# of granulated Super Shock to clear it up, running the pool filter for 72+ hours continuously.
If there is more damage than just replacing the liner and a few hundred dollars' worth of parts, I may just get rid of the whole thing.
Do you think I should remove the cover now?
I would have to pump down the water on top of the cover.
Scoop off the pine needles and other debris from the cover.
Then remove the cover.
Then pump the remaining water from the pool itself.
I would leave the liner in place till spring.
The one thought that just came to mind is, would leaving the pool open and as near empty as possible for the winter months and sometime into spring, what are the chances that any remaining water freezes and pushes out the bottom of the actual framework of the pool and the bottom?
Thanks for your input!

If you want to have a chance at preserving the pool structure do not drain the pool!
You can try to remove as much debris as possible & attempt to pump the cover without pulling water from the pool so you can remove it.
If you dump stuff/water in during the process or need to cut/rip the cover to get it off, oh well. Not ideal, but there’s probably stuff in there by now anyway & the cover is already toast.
Key takeaways:
- Cover pulling on the walls can cave them in & cause collapse so do whatever it takes to prevent that (raising the water level or removing the cover)
- leaving the pool empty risks the walls buckling unless you brace everything up which is an undertaking & still carries risk.
- trying to drag a wet cover out of a 4ft deep empty pool is hard to do so try to prevent that by taking action now

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.