After Two Years, Hayward AquaNaut 200 Mysteriously Starting to Regularly Break Surface

AidanDanner

Mar 9, 2021
Los Angeles
We had our very first 16,000-gallon in-ground chlorine pool constructed about two years ago (I'm still very much a pool n00b), and we've happily run an AquaNaut 200 suction-cleaner in the pool since Day 1. Historically, the AquaNaut would very, very occasionally climb all the way to the top of one of the walls and suck in air for a while, until its mechanics caused it to rotate away and back down into the water-- I'd say we would see/hear this happening maybe once every two-to-three weeks. Not often at all.

Strangely, within the last two weeks, the AquaNaut is now doing this All. The. Time. Like, several times an hour. When it happens, it's super loud (I'm sure it's disturbing the neighbors), and I'd imagine that regularly introducing air into the system is not good for the long-term health of my pool pump.

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed with the pool. I get the water tested monthly -- everything is as it has always been. I do have a variable-speed pump, and if I dial down the speed far enough, I can, of course, deprive the AquaNaut of the ability to climb the walls. But, I want to run the pump at higher levels for at least part of the day, without it sounding like a Mountain Troll's camped out in my backyard, greedily slurping down the warm blood of its slain enemies.

I find it so odd that after 24 months, the AquaNaut is suddenly STRONGER than ever before? Can anyone shed some light on this? THANK YOU.

These cleaners rely on suction from the bottom to be able to climb without falling off. Was something not assembled back correctly where it loosing the suction or perhaps a leak where it's loosing the pressure.

We had our very first 16,000-gallon in-ground chlorine pool constructed about two years ago (I'm still very much a pool n00b), and we've happily run an AquaNaut 200 suction-cleaner in the pool since Day 1. Historically, the AquaNaut would very, very occasionally climb all the way to the top of one of the walls and suck in air for a while, until its mechanics caused it to rotate away and back down into the water-- I'd say we would see/hear this happening maybe once every two-to-three weeks. Not often at all.

Strangely, within the last two weeks, the AquaNaut is now doing this All. The. Time. Like, several times an hour. When it happens, it's super loud (I'm sure it's disturbing the neighbors), and I'd imagine that regularly introducing air into the system is not good for the long-term health of my pool pump.

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed with the pool. I get the water tested monthly -- everything is as it has always been. I do have a variable-speed pump, and if I dial down the speed far enough, I can, of course, deprive the AquaNaut of the ability to climb the walls. But, I want to run the pump at higher levels for at least part of the day, without it sounding like a Mountain Troll's camped out in my backyard, greedily slurping down the warm blood of its slain enemies.

I find it so odd that after 24 months, the AquaNaut is suddenly STRONGER than ever before? Can anyone shed some light on this? THANK YOU.
On ours, this happens when the wheels start wearing down. It allows the AquaNaut to get closer to the sides and create a better vacuum, improving it's climbing ability. If you have not replaced the rubber wheels in two years, this is likely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.