After too much bleach was put in- what do I fix first?

PureLuck

Silver Supporter
May 1, 2016
Hopkinton, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So- my nephew decided to help out and put a second just of bleach in the pool"just to make sure" ??
Chlorine level was sky high.
Now it is back down to 5-
However I ran through all the tests and here's where I am- I never know what to do first...
(I have not yet turned on the salt generator, as the temp is still under 50) below is a copy of my test results..
Chemical adding said:
9lbs stabilizer
1lb 10oz soda to raise pH
13lb soda to raise TA
25lbs calcium chloride to adjust hardness
(Qty11 )40# bags of salt

Which one do I start with???

==========================================
Backyard
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 22000 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 5.5 (12 minutes ago)
CC: 0.5 (12 minutes ago)
pH: 7.0 (12 minutes ago)
TA: 30 (12 minutes ago)
CH: 25 (12 minutes ago)
CYA: 20 (12 minutes ago)
SALT: 1200 (12 minutes ago)
==========================================

Don't fret about the extra jug of bleach..... the higher the FC, the faster it disappears.
I would start with your TA and CYA.
Then I'd check my heater manual to see how much calcium the heater needs, if any? You'll want to add if necessary.

After that, just wait out the temp until the SWG will work. Keep using bleach in the meantime.
Follow the CYA/Chlorine chart (non-SWG) recommendations until switching over to the SWG side. That chart shows both.

Maddie :flower:

Yep.

Baking Soda to get to about 70. Then CYA to 50 or so.

Tomorrow you can recheck pH and see where it is, when you test and add more bleach. Don't bother checking CAYA until it has all dissolved and has had a day or so to mix completely. Later, when you are adding salt, you can raise CYA a bit more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.