Afraid of slippery vinyl over steps. Would this work?

Hojo76

Silver Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Central Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our kit is ordered, and I know I will love the look of vinyl over our 8ft straight steps in our 16x36 rectangle pool. I know that some pool makers put a textured vinyl on the steps to make it more slip resistant. Alas, ours do not.... What are your professional and experienced thoughts on using something like this in between the steel steps and the liner? It would probably need to be modified to get rid of extra material and close seams. I don't know if padding over this would help, hurt, or be indifferent.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/FLEXCO-6-Pack-12-in-x-36-in-Gray-Rubber-Square-Nose-Stair-Treads/3020745

I know zero about this stuff. It just seemed like it might give a little bit of traction without being rough or uncomfortable. I have read a lot of the threads on slippery steps and how water chemistry is often to blame, but thought this might be a safe proactive approach. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! TIA!

Personally I'd ditch the idea for a textured tread under the liner.

Vinyl in a clean pool (read: no algae) is not slippery, at least not in my pool. In fact, I get enough traction in my vinyl pool that if I stay in it too long it actually starts to tear the skin on the bottom of my big toe just from moving around. My vinyl has that "squeaky clean" feel to it.

Vinyl gets slippery due to biofilms that accumulate on it if you don't keep it brushed and clean. Maintain your chlorine levels and brush it occasionally and it won't be slippery.

I agree with sccm, I remember as a kid how friends vinyl pools sometimes felt slippery and it was tough to walk up the incline from the deep end. Now that we have our own vinyl pool and I manage the water, the vinyl never feels slippery. Sccm put it best, it feels squeaky clean, kinda like a clean pool float. Even though we have standard fiberglass stairs in our pool, I would have no reservations with having plain vinyl stairs and them being slippery in our pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.