Advice on re-plumbing pump and filter

gmason86

Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I'm replacing my pump and filter next week (Pentair superflo VS and Pentair Sand Dollar SD80). Well, my local pool company (they are good) are doing it because I honestly don't have the time right now (too many other things!!) and they would qualify as a registered installer for the pentair rebate! Their install price is very reasonable too.

This is the setup I inherited when I bought the house a few years ago... Amazon Drive (yes, I know, ewww!)

I eventually plan to replace all the piping inside the shed, but I will do that myself when I get some time. For now though, I just need to instruct the pool company how I want it done for the pump and filter. So I'm looking for some advice for the best way to do it so I don't then need to re-do their work when I do the rest. I'm hoping you can break this down as clearly as possible:

1. Line coming into the pump.
As you can see, there's currently a ball valve before the pump. My equipment is uphill from my pool, so I guess this is so that it can be closed while cleaning the pump basket and therefore prime won't be lost during that time.

After that, the pvc pipe is glued directly into the pump from what I can see.

What is my best approach here? I figure it's worth leaving the ball valve, for the reasons mentioned above. After that, would I just get them to use a quick connect (is a union the same thing???) to then connect from the ball valve to the pump itself? I see that some people put unions before the equipment, and then glue into the equipment itself. Is there a preferred method?

2. Connection between pump and filter
The service manager said she personally prefers the tiger flex hose, i.e. what is there just now. Her claim was that they last longer than PVC, but she agrees they don't look as neat. I'm unsure if that's true, or if it's climate based, etc. I live on Ontario, Canada so our winters do get cold! She will do whatever I want though. I guess a tiger flex could be glued into quick connects, or just regular PVC into the quick connects.

I'm assuming again we'd just go PVC pipe between the two, and use the quick connects at each end to screw into the pump and screw into the filter. I'm assuming they all have threads! Again, same question as above of what to do with regards a union in between or quick connects on each end?

3. Connection from filter to returns
This is the big horrible mess on the left hand side that I do intend to replace at some point (you'll find another thread when I get there, haha). Given I don't want to pay them for the privilege of doing it and there's no massive rush as I can do it later, I want them to leave it in such a state that I can easily disconnect the filter, cut all that **** off and then re-do. I don't want to end up with things glued into the filter.

What would you suggest is my best approach? I was thinking a quick connect directly into the filter (assuming it is threaded!), then a PVC pipe that will connect from there and then glue in just before that grey T. Then when I come to replace it all, I can just cut the PVC pipe between my quick connect and the grey T, and then do whatever I'm going to do with everything else. Again, same question as above of what to do with regards a union in between or quick connects directly into the filter?

4. Connection from filter to waste
It's not easy to see from that pic (this one is a bit better: Amazon Drive), but my waste pipe is actually also a black hard pipe. It then goes outside the shed, behind my hedge and has holes all the way along. It works! It's at the back right hand side of the picture.

So from what I can tell, that black elbow does actually screw into the filter, rather than being glued. I'm not even really sure what to think to do here, either in the short term or when I replace everything else! I certainly don't plan to replace the entire black waste pipe as it seems to do the job and is just a waste pipe. But I want to avoid anything glued into my filter so I can replace easily in future if needs be. I'm assuming the existing connection can't be used as presumably the other end of the elbow is glued, so it's not like that elbow can be screwed into the new filter as you wouldn't be able to turn it! So they'd need to cut that off. What would you suggest doing? I'm guessing maybe PVC pipe from the black one, and then into a quick connect attached to the filter?

So these 4 things are basically what I want to do when the pump and filter go in. I basically plan to tell the pool company exactly how I want it done, and they have no problem with that. I want this to be done the best way and also allow flexibility for maintenance and cleaning in future (e.g. cleaning the filter). I'll then figure out all the rest of the **** myself once I have some time but will post back for help then.

So I'm hoping all you experts can help guide me with what I should instruct them to do!

Thanks,

Graham.

Nice to meet you via TFP :) Here's my two cents.

Get rid of any ball valves and use pool valves. Jandy neverlube are really nice.

The ball valve before the pump can be replaced with a check valve. If everything in your system is sealed properly, even that should not be needed. With slow leaks, it's nice to have, especially if there are long runs of pipe above the pool water level, but the pump should prime either way. Most VS pumps have a short run at high speed when they first start up, to do the priming. The priming is for 5 minutes and the priming pump speed is adjustable on the Pentair SuperFlo VS.

Personally I prefer 2" rigid pipe because I think it looks tidier when done properly. Either will work. I would use unions before and after both pump and filter.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Just realized I hadn't replied... sorry!

So it's actually going to get done later on today, so I think I have a good idea of what I want them to do.

I did want to ask about the unions... I know they will be using the connections actually at the pump/filter where you can simply screw them on and off. I've heard some people call them quick connects, or male/female connects. I'm unsure of the right word! But in addition to them, would you then also put a union in place like between pump and filter? I'm just not sure I understand the need for the union, if you use the quick connects at all the direct connections to pump and filter?

Anyone else have any suggestions for the best instructions to give them, both to do it properly right now and to help give me the easiest time when I re-plumb everything else?

Thanks again all!

There's a pair of unions for each piece of equipment, so yep, there are two unions between pump and filter, one at the pump and one at the filter. You don't need any more than that, but they're often put on each side of the heater as well. If you're considering solar heating or any other additional outlets, you can add tees or 3-way valves depending on the future purpose. If you plan to add a saltwater chlorinator, leave a couple feet of straight pipe in a handy spot.

You can post a couple pictures and probably get more suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.