Advice on getting pool back into shape..

TheDrB

Apr 22, 2016
Vernon, CT
Hey all,
For the last few years, I've been playing it pretty fast and loose with my pool chemistry, and it seems like it's finally tired of it. This year, my half-assed SLAM-LITE isn't working, and I think I just keep digging myself deeper. Any help/advice on best way to proceed would be appreciated.

FC - 17
CC - 1
TA - 70
CYA - 75 (got one 70 and one 80)
PH - 6.8 (approx. as it took 2 Base drops to move it to 7.2)

The pool is a cloudy mess (blue/white, around 1 ft visibility), and nothing seems to be helping. I think there is just so much dead gunk in the water that it clogs up my filter almost immediately. I also have a mobility issue which limits my ability to brush comprehensively. I did get the E-10 robot with the brush to help with this, but I am wary about using it too much in this soup.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Dr B

Since your CYA is so high (we'll use 80), your SLAM FC level should be 31. So your FC level is way too low to kill algae. You have a couple options though ...
1 - Go ahead and increase the FC to 31 now with regular bleach and maintain it 24/7 as best as you can while following the instructions on the SLAM Process page.
2 - Use a sump pump to exchange a good amount of yucky water which will not only remove some algae but also lower the CYA. If you got the CYA down to about 40, then your SLAM FC level would only be 16 once your filled it back up.

Either way though, you have to maintain the proper SLAM (FC) level to kill the algae, and do that until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.