Brrrav1

Apr 24, 2021
Walla Walla, WA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New pool owner here, looking for help. Just received my Taylor test kit and my first tests read as follows;

Test reading: Pool math recc, levels:
C/FC = 0. (After adding 2 gals of 12% yesterday) 8-10 (for my level of CYA)
pH = 7.0 7.6-7.8
TA = 90 60-80
CH = 180 350-550
CYA = 70 40-50

When I compare to Pool Math recommended levels, my pH is low, TA is high-ish, CH is very low, and CYA is a bit on the high side. Following the Pool Math recommendations I will add the 2 gals of 12% liquid chlorine, but I have some questions about raising pH and CH:
1. If I raise the pH, will that also raise the TA? I read on another thread that to lower the TA you want a low pH.
2. it recommends adding 111 lbs of calcium chloride to get to the recommended level of 400 ppm. Does that sound right to add that much?

If my CYA gets any higher I will do a partial drain and refill.

I will definitely watch the pH/TA discussion after it gets posted, but does anyone have any advice for me? I've been burning through liquid chlorine like crazy and wondering what I can do to slow the loss. (In case my updated signature is not showing, it's a 30K fiberglass pool with a sand filter with a 1hp pump, which I am running 24 hours a day.)

Thanks a ton for any help!
Brent

Do you have a way to aerate to raise the PH? Such as waterfall or fountains. That will raise PH without raising the TA. Your CH should be fine with your fiberglass pool. I raised mine to amount 225 for my fiberglass pool and it’s be fine, the waterline stayed a lot cleaner after raising it a little

I've been burning through liquid chlorine like crazy and wondering what I can do to slow the loss.
Welcome to the forum!
Your pool would need about 1 gallon and 1 quart of 10% liquid chlorine per day this time of year. Are you using more than that?

Your pH, TA, and CH are all fine. No need to do any chemical intervention on them.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks very much, mknauss! This week I have been using between 1 and 2 gals of 12% per day, as the pool store was out of 10%. I will go with your recommended amounts, and reread the ABC's a few times as it's been several months.

I've noticed some discoloration on the floor and walls of the pool - light to medium brown on the floor and dark on the walls. I brush regularly and it doesn't come off with the brushing. Wondering if it might be due to metals in the water?

What I stated for usage is 4 ppm FC per day in your pool. If you are higher than that, then a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test would be wise to run.

Try putting a handful of vitamin C tablets in thin sock, crush them up a bit, and put against the stain. If it clears, you have iron. If it darkens, you have copper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.