Advice on best SWG available today

wayden1

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
I have a Jandy SWG Aquapure system that is over 17 years old now. During that time I have replaced main board, aux. boards, sensors and 5 generators (now looks like I need a 6), not to mention several pumps along the way. Before I spend several hundred on the same generator - does anyone in the group have a better solution/system they can recommend? I think this was a costly system to have but it did work, it just seemed that there was always some error code being generated every summer...

This has been the best forum for us - want to say thanks in advance for all the help you regulars do here for us. I don't consider myself a newbie but far from an expert, you helped me along many times when I was ready to fill in the pool and make a rock garden.

For reference, I have the 1400 system, 30,000 gallon pool, live in hotter than heck Orlando, pool is exposed 100% of the time in the sun except daily rain hours, does have a screen enclosure (if that makes any difference).

Thanks!

With a 30k gal pool you need a SWCG rated for 2x. Pentair has the IC60. You would need to purchase the controller with it for power, The Jandy AquaPure 1400 is rated to 40k gal.

Look at this link which compares various outputs for SWCGs. Also, they provide the CircuPool SWCG which many on the forum use. Look at the Lbs/day output. That is the max and you can compare the output of Pentair vs. Jandy vs. CircuPool

EDIT - if you search the forum for CircuPool - you will see that they probably overstate their performance numbers so take that into consideration when doing the comparison.

Thank you HermanTX - that gives me a starting point. I'll search around and see if any TFP users have tried their new CircuPool Core systems, that has an adapter kit to fit in place of the Jandy cell so no new plumbing would be needed and has an 8 year warranty. I do have the PCI link from Jandy that lets me make adjustments on the digital hand held pad which can't be used but I can live with that.

Reactions: HermanTX
The way I see it Wayden, is that Circupool can overstate their #s by 50% and still be every bit as powerful as the IC60 for $300(?) less.

The prorated warranty never measures up as anyone hopes because you'll lose the '$10 upgrade' price when the time comes so the last couple of years is not worth it.

But the good part of the warranty is still longer than the others and if they're going to give you $500(?) off a new unit on year 4, when Pentair would give you nothing, it was still a good thing.

Hi Wayden - What stood out to me in your original post is replacing your SWG 5X in -7 years? If you’re only getting 3 years of life from your SWG, I am going to guess that you have a pool service that may be placing a chlorine puck in your skimmer and it’s burning out your equipment. I had a reputable service and one of their weekly techs started doing this resulting in premature SWG and Sensor failure, so I stopped using their service. I have a Jandy AquaPure PLC 700 for a small 11k gl pool. My current SWG is 7 years old and it still does not have any calcium build-up. I test the water and balance weekly, brush the sides weekly, vacuum monthly and clean the pool filter every 2 weeks. That’s it. The best part is saving $8400 in the past 7 years. I live in the Orlando area too.

What stood out to me in your original post is replacing your SWG 5X in -7 years?
The 1400 makes 5ppm FC in 24 hours with a 30k pool. It ran most of the day to keep up with loooooooooooong seasons, as you know. :)

placing a chlorine puck in your skimmer and it’s burning out your equipment. I
+1. Cyanuric Acid in the skimmer is no bueno.

Reactions: FloridaGary
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, no pool service to blame. I did spend my first 2 seasons letting Leslie's dictate what I needed for chemicals, after watching one issue or another I started searching and found TFP. Looking at my orders there may only have been 4 replacement cells over 16 years, and I may be to blame on shortened life since I used dry chlorine powder when algae showed up along with liquid bleach after a cell failure. I also slacked in the cleaning filters, sweeping pools etc. I have not had the chance to check what code is being shown (stupidest design I have ever seen having the error codes buried behind several items in power unit that need to be moved). I did just take the cell out to clean and it was free of any buid up so it may be OK and something else in the boards are bad (again).

I am really interested in the Circupool system, especially the Core55. With the Aquapure adapters it would be easy to install in the cell location. Since it can be plugged in, I have a GFI power outlet on my power unit that it can be plugged into, thinking about an outdoor timer to use to control power until I can figure out how to wire it in to the relay switch.

Any recommendations on the Core55 or go with the RJ-45 instead?

You really want a 60k unit in FL for your large pool. 55 is the lowest I'd go.

There's a forever 'sale' where you buy the RJ45 and they upgrade you for $10 more at discountsaltpools.

:roll: to shady sales tactics but :party: to a deal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just curious - FloridaGary or anyone else with the Aquapure systems - what do you typically see you need to set the cell at and pump hours? I run the pump probably at 8 hours starting at dawn and cell at 35% - when issues came up or lots of rain, I would run overnight as well. Sometimes bumping up cell to 40%. If bad issues (green algae growing) I would use liquid bleach and/or DryTec 1-1901-24 Calcium Hypochlorite Chlorine Shock

Just curious - FloridaGary or anyone else with the Aquapure systems - what do you typically see you need to set the cell at and pump hours? I run the pump probably at 8 hours starting at dawn and cell at 35% - when issues came up or lots of rain, I would run overnight as well. Sometimes bumping up cell to 40%. If bad issues (green algae growing) I would use liquid bleach and/or DryTec 1-1901-24 Calcium Hypochlorite Chlorine Shock
I think this will vary greatly depending on UV exposure, size of pool, etc.
I run my pump at 23 hrs per day and setting varies from 20% to 50% depending on time of year. My pool is half the size of yours but full sun exposure during the summer and lots of use.

Thanks HermanTX - I agree with the variables you pointed out, but looks like I was under-chlorinating the pool all along. Add to that the Aquapure 1400 was probably under-sized for my needs kind of explains all the issues that I had along the way. It appears that the cell may be OK, need to pull the error code(s) this weekend and see what they point to. But I think I will go ahead and invest in Circupool system to keep on hand for when this one goes down, just learned the cell costs over $1000 now for AP 1400 - I think the last time i bought one it was under $600.

Just an FYI also - the pool was not meant to be 30,000 gallons - the pool company accidentally dug the deep end over 9 feet (it should have been 7) and they started working on the rebar and piping when they realized what they done. It was fine with us we wanted a deep deep end but now I think we should have rethought the SWG system back then.

but now I think we should have rethought the SWG system back then.
You got your money worth. We'll help you make bank going forward. :)
looks like I was under-chlorinating the pool all along
Many of us 'run hot' and it allows us more time to catch any issues. If my FC is humming along at 10+ today, I have at least 2 days in reserve at all times. The last time i did the math, it might waste around 20% of cell life from more use, but it equated to $45-ish a season to not have to watch it like a hawk. If I told anyone they could be on easy street for $45 a season, they'd have the $45 dug out of their pocket before I finished my sentence. :ROFLMAO: I bought the thing to make life easier, not to save time lugging jugs only to spend as much time squeezing every minute of lifespan from the cell............. and then needing to jug dose anyway from underproducing.

Most of the year, my pump runs 7 hrs/day, but June - Sept I modify the hours based on rain amount and water balance. Salt cell will range from 30% off summer and up to 70-80% during summer and adjusted if I have to shock the pool. As you know, in Florida, it’s not unusual to get several inches of rain each day for several days in a row. Instead of overworking the salt cell, I’ll throw a bag of shock to achieve 6-8ppm of chlorine. Also, I maintain CYA levels at 75-80ppm during summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.