Advice for cloudy water?

Hit a roadblock. Ran out of the regeant for the TC test. Pool stores don't have them. We ordered it, but with the holiday, not sure when it will be here. We are using an OTO test and guestimating about the level based on an estimate of the color grid we found here. But is there anything we can do in the meantime to be more accurate?

SLAMing and ran out of regeant

We were in the middle of trying to get our cloudy water clear. Due to a testing mistake, our FC was too nigh (needed it at 31). Got it down to 46, then ran out of the testing drops. Picked up a test for OTO since the pool stores didn't have what we needed. Based on the matrix we found here, the water has been measuring at 15-30 FC (orange); using pool math we have been guestimating what the actual level is and how much bleach to add. We ordered a refill but with the holiday I am not sure when it will be here. Is there any other way I can get a more accurate idea of where our FC is?? The water is clearer but not clear yet and our party is next weekend...

Thank you!!

Mod note: Keep your questions all in one thread please

Re: Overnight test - run pump?

At a minimum, you should run the pump for 30 minutes after your last addition and run it for 30 minutes before the morning test.

Re: Maintaining FC

I get by with adding every other day. It's pool appetite, swimmer load, sun, CYA etc. :)

e: I always miss "SWG" in the signature :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How often are you adding? If you feel like you aren't reaching your target, test again, if possible, about 15-30 minutes. Sometimes the bleach isn't full strength if it's old, etc. you can leave the SWG off, it won't likely make enough of a difference.

As for the OCLT and the pump, if you are SLAMming, it's best to leave the pump running 24/7.

I added this morning then two hours later I was below shock level. Bleach is new and 8%. I;m going to shoot for a little higher than shock level.
That the FC dropped in two hours is exactly what should be happening. It's oxidizing the organics in the water and being used up in the process. Over time the amount you need to add to get back to shock level will slowly be reduced.

I really, really thought there was no algea in there. We can't see any, the white stuff is gone, but most importantly, we have been at this for two weeks. Testing, brushing and vacuuming each day. We were without the test (waiting on a refill) for a few days, but we still added based on the OTO test and what we were at before. Now, we are running out of our second refill.
Last night it was at 28, I added to bring it up to 31 (put a little extra in to finish out the bottle, so we were really around 35). I don't think we lost any - this AM it was at 35.

I'm going to see if I can post a pic later today and see if looks clear. I can't tell if I am just wishing it to look clear, but I can see the seams on the bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! I am changing the filter 3x a day - it's coming out clean.

If you passed the OCLT, if you have cc <= 0.5 and if the water is clear*, you're done. 2 weeks is about right.

*Clear means you can tell if a quarter was heads or tails on the bottom. Clear means it looks empty if there is no wind, and "sparkly" if there is a little wind.

Crystal clear is a better phrase than empty. The quarter test is a consistent way.

Here's what I do. I take a picture with my phone, email it to myself, resize, upload to imgur.com then copy/paste the BB Code here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.