Adding SWG _ vertical installation?

FLAK111

Gold Supporter
Jan 28, 2018
North/Texas
View attachment 73124

I'm about to install the SWG to my system above. The plumbing on the right are my return lines....out from filter....valve...two pipes back down to pool.

There is not enough room for the SWG to have the 12 inch recommended piping before flow switch and SWG plates. It looks like I'll have to cut all 3 pipes
to extend them upwards 12 inches (ish). This would have my SWG being installed vertically, in essence, raising my valve up so it would still be horizontal.

Anyone see any other means? or do you see any problems with a vertical install for the SWG?
Thanks.

Read the manual for the swcg and if it warns about installing it vertically, I wouldn't.

Looking a the plumbing, it appears that there may be a couple of ways to route the plumbing so that you could install the swcg horizontally.

1. Cut the vertical piping out of the multiport valve outlet and loop the plumbing back toward the wall and then turn it up and back toward the 3-way valve. There should be enough room to install the cell there.
╔═══╫╫╫╫═════3-way
╟ . . . cell
╚═══════╗
. . . . . . . . ╟
══════MP╝

2. Loop the plumbing under the MP back toward the wall and then up and toward the 3-way valve.
╔═══╫╫╫╫═════3-way
╟ . . . cell
╟ ..═══MP ╗
╟ . . . . . . .╟
╚═══════╝

This will increase the head a little, but it shouldn't hurt the flow enough to notice.

Forgive my terrible ASCII drawings, but hopefully you get the picture. :)

thank you for the install ideas. I would not have thought of that. The underneath path then behind and up wont work because of the backwash/exit pipe on that side, but the over the top, behind, up and forward will work perfectly. This will allow me not to have to cut the return pipes going back in the ground.

Anyone: Since I will be cutting pipes and replacing / moving things, are there any other suggestions with pipe maintenance or new products I should consider putting in? I know the ol' saying, if it aint broke dont fix it, but with this install, i'm just curious if there may be something worth my while while i'm back there with all the supplies.

Thanks again.

So, I actually ended up going down, behind up, and back over to the return pipes as your #2 drawing depicts. #1 drawing I found wouldn't have given me enough space for my hand to properly turn my backwash valve and made it very cramped.

# 2 worked perfectly! Thanks for the idea, appreciate it.
View attachment 73280

- - - Updated - - -

My SWG is a 2in threaded ring (blue circle twist things), for a 1.5 inch pipe. I would like to remove the SWG and have a straight pipe there (for winters and pool startup purposes), are there ways to put an extension pipe in placement of the SWG?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.