Sep 10, 2019
Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
This is my first year with a SWG and I am struggling to keep my CYA level high enough...as strange as that sounds.

My pool has been in the direct summer sun with a pool filler. I have also been running my Glacier cooler for about 12hrs per day so I imagine that is also driving up evaporation. Does it seem odd i have added ~8lbs of dry in the last 2 months and still struggle to keep CYA between 70 and 80?

Sounds very odd. Sure you don't have a leak?
CYA does get used up over time (but very, very slowly); but it doesn't evaporate and UV exposure shouldn't be killing it.

Best bet is a leak--even a small one--that you haven't noticed (assuming you have an autofill).

8 pounds is 44ppm of cya in your pool in 2 months. There's no way it's degrading that fast. I am in AZ with water temps around 90-91 and i lose about 10ppm per month. 44ppm lost in 2 months points to a leak or lots of dilution from rain.

I'm assuming it's not from bacteria if you've kept FC at target levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.