Adding Muriatic Acid directly to skimmer

What method is GENERALLY best? Skimmer or in front of a return? Anyone who says skimmer (for a GENERAL rule) is wrong.

If, for some, it is too hard or doesn't make sense to pour in front of a return, you are totally unencumbered to do it any way you like.

TFP will always try to find the best method that is applicable to the most people.........that best method is in front of an operating return......probably always will be.

What method is GENERALLY best? Skimmer or in front of a return? Anyone who says skimmer (for a GENERAL rule) is wrong.

If, for some, it is too hard or doesn't make sense to pour in front of a return, you are totally unencumbered to do it any way you like.

TFP will always try to find the best method that is applicable to the most people.........that best method is in front of an operating return......probably always will be.

Dave,
I totally agree with you about the TFP philosophy, and I find most of the advice on this forum to be very helpful. My pool configuration perhaps is not common, with no active sidewall returns. So my method is extremely more convenient for me.

It has now been over 3 years of adding MA and chlorine to the skimmer every week. There is no damage to my cartridge filters whatsoever. There are no leaks in my pump seal or my gas heater. Could there be damage? Certainly. Is it significant? I don't know for certain, only time will tell.

As always, I'm not promoting that anyone should do what I do. It is easier for me, and I'm conducting a long term experiment. I'll continue to post for anyone who may have an interest.

Bob

- - - Updated - - -

I am always up for a discussion that discusses the issues and informs everyone.

Mmmm Bacon
View attachment 57244

Yum, unexplained bacon :)

Get a rate on your pluming and also a rate on your pouring speed, then mix those two together to get a approximate ratio of ma/water that flows through your system when you use ma and test the pH of it, or do your copper pipe test on it.

Put a piece of copper pipe in your skimmer and check back after a few weeks

I would plum in a injection fitting into your return and suck chemicals tha way

So, I've been pouring MA into my skimmer (and chlorine too) weekly for approaching 5 years. I've learned since my OP that part of the reason I have perpetually high pH is related to the pop-ups on my pool floor--the ones on the stairs act like bubblers constantly forcing my pH higher.

In any case, nearly five years now, and zero problems with my pool heater, zero problems with my pump, zero problems with my filter cartridges or filter assembly. I purchased both the pump and the heater new as I started this test, so I'll have a pretty good idea if there is a significant degradation in the expected heater's 10 year lifespan--it's already lived nearly half of its expected life despite my abuse.

I do not recommend anyone do this. I'm taking risks that could be costly, but I'd like to know the truth. Is pouring MA and/or chlorine into your skimmer demonstrably and verifiably bad for your pool, or is it just theoretically bad?

Been a while with this post being active but but be careful doing it with the infloor system......we did this the 1st few times as the builder said it didnt matter , the acid shoots thru those heads if its running and can streak the floor if you have pebble tech almost like an acid wash and we found out the hard way....maybe because the pool was new but we got streak in front of the heads from it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.