Adding DE to above ground pool de filter

Lrod2286

Jun 26, 2021
Nj
Hello All,

I am new to the pool game and I’m having a hard time understanding de and adding it to my de cartridge filter(photo of filter attached) I have an above ground pool which is about 5000 gallons

I recently went on vacation and came back to the pool with a lot of algae. I ran my robot cleaner which cleaned up all the algae. But in doing so the pool became green. I just shocked the pool as well.

My question is when I add de to the filter the pressure gauge instantly shoots up to 12-14 psi and the pressure from the jet in the pool goes significantly down. I then proceeded to take out the cartridge hose it down and backwash the filter and then add more de in which the same result occurs. Am I supposed to keep doing this same process until I finally add de and the psi stays down?Im little confused by all of this.

Thanks for all yours help.

Attachments

• 4BAAADE7-FBB5-4024-A64B-251E68F7AD47.jpeg
    4BAAADE7-FBB5-4024-A64B-251E68F7AD47.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 3
No, your filter is telling you its trapping algae that you can't see, and if you don't deal with it properly you won't stop the cycle you're in now.

How are you testing your pool? Which kit do you use?

How do you chlorinate your pool and what else do you add to the water?

Can you tell us these results from your own test kit:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

Read a few articles on the SLAM process and TFP to learn how we do things:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels
FC/CYA Levels
SLAM Process
PoolMath

Maddie :bounce:

I have to retest tomorrow since I just shocked the pool so I will have those results then.I use granular chlorine to shock and chlorine tablets to stabilize.I guess my question is if the water was in pristine condition would I needed to be cleaning the filter and adding de this often?

Those two things are NOT how we do a SLAM process. Every ounce of granular chlorine gave you yet more CYA or Calcium. CHlorine tablets add half as much CYA as Chlorine.

When you raise your CYA level, you also raise the amount of chlorine required to kill algae.

Have you read the SLAM process instructions? SLAM Process

Do you have your own TFP recommended Test Kit? EIther the Taylor K-2006C or TF-100. The Taylor kit is pricer, and if you don't get the "C" version you're not getting as much reagents as the TF-100 has. THe TF-100 is a better buy. www.tftestkits.net

You clean the filter when the filter pressure raises 20-25% over clean pressure reading.

Maddie :bounce:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.