Adding CYA-do I need to?

I also have a new pool and have to add acid every 3-4 days. Used to be every day or two when I first opened it. Dropping TA and adding Boric Acid has helped the pH rise.

I know this site recommends using CYA granules in a sock as it is the most cost effective solution, but I just use liquid instant stabilizer. Yes, it's more expensive, but a 1 gallon bottle costs $25-30 and will raise CYA by 35 for a 10,000 gallon pool. It's worth it for me for the convenience of not having to do the sock method and wait days. Just shake the bottle really well and measure out and pour in what you need. It comes out pretty thick so you'll have to brush what settles to the floor. Dissolves super quick and a couple hours later after circulation, you can remeasure CYA. Not the cheapest way to raise CYA but definitely faster and less hassle. Just my 2 cents.

I also have a new pool and have to add acid every 3-4 days. Used to be every day or two when I first opened it. Dropping TA and adding Boric Acid has helped the pH rise.

I know this site recommends using CYA granules in a sock as it is the most cost effective solution, but I just use liquid instant stabilizer. Yes, it's more expensive, but a 1 gallon bottle costs $25-30 and will raise CYA by 35 for a 10,000 gallon pool. It's worth it for me for the convenience of not having to do the sock method and wait days. Just shake the bottle really well and measure out and pour in what you need. It comes out pretty thick so you'll have to brush what settles to the floor. Dissolves super quick and a couple hours later after circulation, you can remeasure CYA. Not the cheapest way to raise CYA but definitely faster and less hassle. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. I might consider this as well as it seems like it would be a lot easier and the convenience the liquid offers might offset the lower price of the granules.

f2933901c4416e8a4244ae284088db6a.jpg
Ok,here's what I ended doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are correct. 16 ounces of stabilizer would raise your CYA by 14 ppm. If you are finding that the black dot is disappearing quicker than you expected (higher CYA), either the beginning CYA test was higher than your first thought, or the new CYA test is off a bit. I would just leave the CYA alone for now, let it all circulate and test again Thursday. Make sure to test outside on a bright day with the sun at your back. The bright sun definitely effects the visibility of that black dot, so you might find your CYA is just fine.

I understand. Also remember that there is also that +/- 15 ppm variance with the CYA test. That may seem like a lot, but it's the toughest test of them all. That's why I typically mix my solution, view it in the tube/dot, then pour it back & forth 3-4 times to get a good average. We'll watch for your new test Thursday. Have a nice evening.

I understand. Also remember that there is also that +/- 15 ppm variance with the CYA test. That may seem like a lot, but it's the toughest test of them all. That's why I typically mix my solution, view it in the tube/dot, then pour it back & forth 3-4 times to get a good average. We'll watch for your new test Thursday. Have a nice evening.

Retested this morning and got CYA at 70. I did the test four times just to verify my findings. As I only wanted to go from 50 to 70 I'm really glad I didn't add the recommended 3 cups of stabilizer and only added 2. Lesson learned to always add less, especially with something like stabilizer. I was so worried that I'd overshot it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.