Adding Cellulose Fiber to sand filter

May 18, 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
So I’m aware on how to add DE or DE substitute into a sand filter, and to add a cup until you hit +1 PSI on the gauge. I added about 6 cups of cellulose fiber to the filter, which according to my experience with other pool owners typically takes 2 cups for for the PSI to raise by 1.

I also gave it 2 minutes to stabilize per scoop. I have a 24 inch Hayward Pro Series sand filter, S244T. Never thought it would take at least 6 scoops! I unfortunately ran out of fiber after 6 cups, so I will monitor the pressure gauge.

Any thoughts?

I have used cellulose a few times, primarily to trap precipitated iron. It would take about 36hours to become effective...then it really slowed things down.

Reactions: Blake1989
I didn't notice a rise in pressure for about 24 hours or so. Then it jumped up 10psi. The cellulose didn't seem to have much effect by itself, it just caught everything else. Which it is supposed to do. As I remember, about 4 cups. It was a 14K abg pool. What are you trying to filter out?

Reactions: Blake1989

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.