Adding Boric Acid to My Pool

Jun 16, 2014
Phoenix AZ
Here are my readings:
FC: 6
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA: 130
(Note that my fill water has the same pH and TA)
CYA: ~70

Should I consider adding Boric Acid to my pool? If so, is 50 lbs a good amount?

People report good benefits but need fairly low TA to add borates. But my TA will pretty much always be around 130.

Thanks for your response.

I did read through the posts beforehand. But one thing I noted is that it was stated that TA needs to be low (~60ppm) before you can add boric acid. Mine is fairly high and it is high mostly because my Phoenix fill water has high TA. It sounds like it could take a while to lower it by adding a bunch of acid and aerating over many weeks. Also I wonder if my high TA fill water simply makes this task an uphill battle?

So I just wondered if my situation even is optimal for adding boric acid. Furthermore, my pool right now seems to be in good shape so I wonder if it is even worth the trouble and expense of lowering TA and adding boric acid.

I've never bothered with borates. I tend to drain off a few inches at a time and use it on the lawn to lower my CH. If I added Borates, I'd lose the same percentage of those, too. And likely kill my lawn. It hasn't escaped my notice that there isn't a lot of scrub growing in Death Valley near the old Borax Works. :mrgreen:

And living in Phoenix, you should be paying attention to your CH. It's probably high, and with high evaporation rates, it will climb pretty fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.