Adding borates for the first time

RobbieH said:
Got home and checked everything again. Water is looking better and better! FC is at 4.5, which is what I expected to happen once the sun came out. Liquidator continues to look more and more clean, the scale is almost completely gone. I could not be more pleased with the result of adding the borates.
I'm so glad this is working out for you. While the borates didn't resolve the "white stuff" Liquidator issue for everyone, it did for some and it theoretically should help.

I am getting ready to do this as well. Latest results (this AM)

TC: 9.5 (high, I lowered the SWCG output from 70% to 60%)
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 20
CYA: < 20
Salt: 3400 (panel) 3020 (strip)
Borate: 0

Question: should I lower the TA and aerate before starting with the boric acid or am I clear for takeoff?

TIA

RobbieH said:
Got home and checked everything again. Water is looking better and better! FC is at 4.5, which is what I expected to happen once the sun came out. Liquidator continues to look more and more clean, the scale is almost completely gone. I could not be more pleased with the result of adding the borates.

Your uneventful success has inspired me to do the same. Congrats and thanks! :goodjob:

Here's another report after several days on borates:

1. Chlorine is stable as a rock. I can't believe how long I've gone without worrying about chlorine! My CYA is currently a little low (25) so I have 4 Trichlor tablets floating around in 2 floaters for chlorine and CYA. My liquidator is turned OFF. We have had several days of hot, sunny weather, and my FC is holding steady.

2. I got the Liquidator all cleaned out and it's flowing at 5 again. It has been turned off for the last 3 days, but was running before that. All the scaling is now gone, with no signs of returning. I can finally know if I am gone for a few days, the Liquidator won't stop up again and will do the job I bought it for.

3. Water is sparkly clean!

4. Water does not burn eyes, skin, etc. Water feels kind of soft, but this is hard to explain.

If there is any downside at all, and it might not even be due to the borates, when we get out of the pool our terra cotta patio is slippery. It could be due to me getting Borax on the patio during the addition process, or it might be due to what's in the water now. We aren't sure yet.

Here's a picture of the patio so you can see what it's made of.

pool2.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.