Adding bleach to hot tub

garyduse

LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2008
Seattle area
OK, all you spa Dichlor/Bleach practitioners, I’m curious as to how you actually add bleach to your hot tub on a regular basis. My wife and I are senior citizens and more than a little shaky when it comes to pouring out and adding a couple ounces of Clorox bleach to the tub. Historically, we’ve used either tablets or granules and simply changed the water when the CYA gets too high.

Any suggestions for a safe and convenient means of dispensing a small amount of liquid chlorine?

No different than adding it to your washer! Have a measuring cup dedicated to bleach, and it right over the tub so that if you drip, it’s not a big deal. Wear clothes you don’t care about Incase you spill.

I just leave a bottle of bleach at the end of the hot tub. When I get out the last time of the night I pour in it's dose (I free pour, not using a measuring cup). Now, my friends say I should be the poster child for the hot tub industry as I'm in it morning noon and night.

Now, just in case something messes up I bring my pool up 5 or so PPM of FC and dump the hot tub into the pool and start over....

Do a search for bettix bottles on Amazon. I have two 36 oz. ones, that I refill as needed. When you go to dose the hot tub, just unscrew the cap to the measuring chamber, give the bottle a slight squeeze and it measures out the size in ounces to pour into the tub.Couldn't be easier!

I have a 1/4 cup plastic measuring scoop and a jug of bleach by the tub. For our tub we add a 1/4 cup per person hour when we get out. 2 people 2 hours is 4 scoops. Easy money!

Do a search for bettix bottles on Amazon. I have two 36 oz. ones, that I refill as needed. When you go to dose the hot tub, just unscrew the cap to the measuring chamber, give the bottle a slight squeeze and it measures out the size in ounces to pour into the tub.Couldn't be easier!

Looks like a winner! I found them more reasonably-priced on Ebay. This should do the trick.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I add it by the cup. It just sits there by the tub.

I recommend that you test fc both before and after adding -at least once in a while- to see how much chlorine you are adding. Bleach doesn't remain at the same strength over time. temperature is the main variable. The warmer, the faster it degrades. Also, the stronger the bleach is, more is lost to gas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.