Adding a new hose bib from an existing bib

Going to take my dog on a walk and decided to take a look at one of my hose bibs in the front of the house. Guess I don’t need to purchase a splitter.

Then as I’m walking my dog I walk past a lot where a house was torn down to build a new one.
Look what is sitting there a pvc pipe with a spigot. What are the chances! Ha

Attachments

• 54E8242D-5CFF-498B-9296-C5F8C1D5F4F5.jpeg
    54E8242D-5CFF-498B-9296-C5F8C1D5F4F5.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 6E5BC9D0-B7B0-4AE8-AB2A-4B31B130690D.jpeg
    6E5BC9D0-B7B0-4AE8-AB2A-4B31B130690D.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: RDFBocephus
Ha, I didn’t take the spigot. However, it does look like the end result I’m trying to accomplish. It was located right next to the city water meter so I guess someone just tapped into that line?

That doesn’t sound like what they were planning to do.
I'm sure you're right.
The kitchen sink and dishwasher are at an island in the kitchen. Not sure how that waterline is run.
OK, so no joy there.
Yes, we have hard water here in Fl. We have a water softener but not sure if hose water is attached.
Typically hose bibs are not connected to the water softener circuit, they're connected to the incoming water supply before the softener loop on their own dedicated circuit. Soft water is not great for plants.

So your thread is now filled with lots of ideas and suggestions. Let us know if you need any help with any of them...

Reactions: usfbull
Maybe I spoke too soon. I think I have an understanding of what I need off of the existing hose bib. What type of connector do I use on the 1” sched 40 pipe and then on the other end of sched 40 where new spigot will attach?

For the end in the enclosure, I would add an elbow, then a short length of PVC, then a slip-to-male thread adaptor. That would then screw into the hose bib, one that has female threads. Unlike the picture of the hose bib you saw in the abandoned lot, it's better to thread male PVC into female brass. Threading male brass into female PVC can stress the PVC and cause it to fail. I like the quarter turn hose bibs, like this one:

Find the PVC fitting that fits those threads and converts to PVC slip (smooth, that you glue onto PVC pipe).

Then attach the pipe to the wall with brackets:

images.jpeg

Last edited:
For the other end, you just need one of these:

You can put this piece on the end of the existing PVC, and connect it to your hose-bib-splitter with a length of hose. Though I'll advise, again, not to use hose. Or you can thread that PVC fitting directly onto the hose-bib-splitter, and connect it to the existing PVC pipe using more PVC. Then paint the PVC and call it done.

And I think it's been made clear that none of this is code or best practice, just to give you the "official" disclaimer. But it'll likely work just fine. If you want to make it safer, turn off that hose bib while away and during periods when you don't need the hose bib in the enclosure all that much.

Something like this, from Lowes, could also work inside. You would just push it onto the PVC and screw it to the wall.

697285031975.jpg

As I mentioned, I don't like shark-bite connections, but when they're outside I have less of an issue with them. This fitting's specs claim it's compatible with CPVC, which is not what you've got (just regular PVC). I couldn't say how much that matters. So this idea is a little iffy, though it would be very simple. 10 bucks and five minutes and you're done with that end.

Attaching the hose bib to the wall is much preferred over attaching just the PVC pipe to the wall, especially when pulling on the hose.

Last edited:
Oops, I just noticed you wrote 1" PVC? If that's the case, you might need to use some reducers here and there, as hose bibs are generally all 1/2" or 3/4". When you're at the big box store, just fit everything together until you have all the right pieces. You might have to reduce the 1" down to 3/4" pipe if you can't find the other fittings I suggested in 1" sizes.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is a PVC fitting that will convert 1" PVC pipe to 3/4" PVC pipe. And there is a fitting that has a 1" slip on one side and 3/4" thread on the other. Either will work, depending on how you choose to do it. I doubt there is a shark-bite hose bib that will push onto 1" PVC, though maybe there is. You'd have to convert the pipe to use the shark bite bib, which means gluing, which kinda negates the advantage of using the shark bite fitting, might as well use a threaded PVC fitting into threaded bib.

There are also PVC elbows that convert from 1" to 3/4" PVC, so that's another option.

Do what I do. I go to Lowe's, gather some parts, layout them all out on the floor, and line them up like they would fit together. Then I mix and match them, or go back for others, until I have the set that makes for the cleanest install with the fewest parts and the shape and angles and valves I need. There will be multiple solutions. Just remember when threads are involved, thread metal male into female PVC.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.