Adding a hayward Skimmer on intex 18x52? Forgot outside gasket? Adding second return

Re: Adding a hayward Skimmer to the sidewall of an intex 18x52 Pool? Suggestions, tip

My other and probably last question was on the cut itself.. for the hayward opening.. do most just trace cut around the square, or do you do an X cut and trim the remainder by holding onto the flap and cutting, or does it even matter..

I have a box cutter tool, the one where the blades can break off.. not sure its the best, i may look for a standard one.

I plan on taking a small drill bit to start the holes for the screws.

Re: Adding a hayward Skimmer to the sidewall of an intex 18x52 Pool? Adding second re

On the subject of adding a second return eyeball (using the hayward eyeball and the original intex at the same time), i've seen it done on here once or twice (cant find the thread), wondering if that second return is worth the fuss and the attempt on doing it while the water is full.

Re: Adding a hayward Skimmer to the sidewall of an intex 18x52 Pool? Adding second re

temporary_zpsvesmqnuc.jpg

I just freehanded it. It doesn't have to be perfect. It's going to be covered by the washer and the nut anyway.

On an 18 foot round pool I don't think that you need two eyeballs pushing water into the pool. I cut out both of my sleeved intex outlets and installed two Hayward fittings. One I use as an outlet (to the pump) along with the skimmer and the other I use to supply water to a second pump for water fountain duty. I actually have a third one at the base of the wall where I cut out the intex garden hose drain, in case I want a "main drain" in the future. That one I did install with the pool empty LOL! As far as my skimmer goes, I split the gasket, put half on the outside and half on the inside. Screwed the skimmer to the wall (pushing the screws through the vinyl). Once all the screws were tight, I used an Xacto knife to cut out the rectangle of pool wall. I installed a valve on the bottom of the skimmer before cutting out the rectangle and "freeing" the water.

On an 18 foot round pool I don't think that you need two eyeballs pushing water into the pool. I cut out both of my sleeved intex outlets and installed two Hayward fittings. One I use as an outlet (to the pump) along with the skimmer and the other I use to supply water to a second pump for water fountain duty. I actually have a third one at the base of the wall where I cut out the intex garden hose drain, in case I want a "main drain" in the future. That one I did install with the pool empty LOL! As far as my skimmer goes, I split the gasket, put half on the outside and half on the inside. Screwed the skimmer to the wall (pushing the screws through the vinyl). Once all the screws were tight, I used an Xacto knife to cut out the rectangle of pool wall. I installed a valve on the bottom of the skimmer before cutting out the rectangle and "freeing" the water.
Maybe ill forgo the second eyeball and just swap out the existing one for the hayward.. much easier :) When you say hayward fitting, you mean the amazon one here without strainer built in? As i had just ordered two of these intex large strainers 11236 which i had assumed were 1.5" threads, but maybe they are also the 40mm (fail).. i did however buy two total of the game adapters, but ill likely need those on each side for the intex hoses .... edit: i think they are in fact 1.5" here at least

linking again here to my main new build thread here with pics and progress My 18x52 Intex Ultra Frame Build - Mods: skimmer change, inlets and outlets and PVC

Yes the one you have linked on amazon is the same ones I have used on my pool. I did keep the Large Intex strainer that came with the pool, and have it installed in the opening that Intex had intended it for. I did use a game adaptor with it so I can hook up regular 1.5 inch plumbing fittings to the intex strainer.

Ok, here are some pics.. i went through and did the cuts.. mostly ok, more on that in a second.

I put it so that i would be at the highest water level about 1.2 blocks from the top (i'm tall, i like the water as high as i can get :D ) which lines up with the second screw on the side of the hayward bracket (2/3rds)..

In these pics i've let the water go down to below the bracket just about..

filter23.jpg

filter33.jpg

Now for the bad or maybe not bad part...

So i decided to cut the gasket in half.. all fine and dandy, used box cutter no issues..
I forgot to put the OUTSIDE gasket in place when i screwed the face plate to the pool..
Initially it was leaking where i poked the holes, but i found if i tightened it up very tight to point i couldnt turn any more, the leaking stopped.

I didnt realize i made this mistake till after the fact, after all 18 or so screws were painfully tightened. (side note, i used a standard push out box cutter to make the pool cut and went around the perimeter with ease)

***So here is the question.. do i just put some silicone around the outside filter box and be done.. or do i tear it apart and fix it (any risk since i cut the hole in the pool already, by removing it??).. or do you remove it in the fall either way all 18 screws?

If it is not leaking, I would leave it alone. If it starts leaking, then maybe re-do it. I took my Intex down the fall of 2015, and left the skimmer in place, just being careful about how I folded and handled the pool around the skimmer. I did not take the pool down last fall, but left it out half full of water.

If it is not leaking, I would leave it alone. If it starts leaking, then maybe re-do it. I took my Intex down the fall of 2015, and left the skimmer in place, just being careful about how I folded and handled the pool around the skimmer. I did not take the pool down last fall, but left it out half full of water.

Yea that was my original thinking. Do you feel taking it off could risk stretching the liner near my cut and holes ? If it starts leaking them is have to lower the water again which will suck cause that's twice this year then. Since I got hasty before doing all this :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would not remove the skimmer.

I leave my pool up all year, it was frozen most days of the winter. This is my third season with the pool, and besides a bit of liner fade, it looks like the day I put it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The liner will not stretch or tear if you take it off while it is full of water. But if its not leaking, personally I wouldn't touch it.

I opted to redo it.. will be testing in a day or so once i get the water level back up and my pvc piping done.. should be solid though.

It also looks like my sand pump hoses will screw directly onto PVC without the need for the game adapters.. (with a flush connection basically, and the threaded nut holding it together.. there arent threads inside the hose, only in the threaded nut on the end, which match 1.5" threads)

The redo on putting the gasket in worked out fine, no leaks (so far).

Only leak i'm possibly having is at the outlet replacements (left haywood connector).. seems i have some water slightly dripping on one of the two, at the thread by the white nut ring.. i dont think i put teflon under there, i may have to try to unscrew and add teflon quickly and tighten back up, or see if i can add some silicone to it.

The other issue, i may or may not have, is that i stupidly dont think my pipe going from the haywood to the pump is not perfectly level, or shifted to downhill on the left as i think it should be. I also seem to cause air to get trapped in the pump when i close off the other outlet and set it to just use the haywood skimmer only, for some reason (using the ball valve not a plug).

wideview1.jpg

skimmerfull.jpg

how is this going know? I am thinking about putting the wm hayward on my 16x48 but dont want to lose much water height. is the wm not to wide where the pool is round?
I think it will work - I know some folks have done it. I purchased the regular Dyna-Skim on my 16' and my water level is right where I always kept it before, one or two pattern blocks below the grey liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.