Added required 50 lb of calcium and it didnt raise, just made it cloudy

qu1nn

Aug 22, 2021
NY
Hello
I have a 27,000 Gallon inground plaster SWG (circupool RJ-45) pool in WNY.
I use PoolMath and have been using for several years (TFP goal level).
Historically my pool is on the low side for CH(~220) but several days ago I added the required 50 lbs of Calcium Chloride (Leisure Pool) by spreading throughout the deep end.
The pool has remained cloudy for the last 3 days.
Today I tested with my Lamotte Gen 3 Color Q with the following results:
FCL = 3.5
tCL = 3.5
PH = 7.3
Alk = 64
Calcium Hardness = 149!!! (lower than prior test which said to add 50 lbs, was 183 prior)
Temp = 80F
CYA = 83
Salt = 3300
TDS = 3290

There has been no rain.

I am stumped.
Thoughts?

Look toward any response
Thanks for your time

Quinn

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Adding calcium can sometimes result in cloudy water, but 3 days is a bit long. I'm wondering if it's a coincidence that you might have some algae trying to bloom in there as well. Have you considered running an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure? My only other concern about testing is the Lamotte. Not one of your recommended kits, so that may influence some of your results.

I haven't had a chance to try the overnight chlorine loss testing.
But when I was at the store i picked up some test strips with CH and tested multiple times and >450ppm, so it may be a Lamotte issue (as you have suggested)
Since my last post the pool has cleared, but the saltwater generator had to be acid cleaned due to the buildup on the circupool registering low salt ( and stops generating) .... Thus I probably goofed up and didnt need the calcium....

quinn

Quinn,

The ColorQ CH reagents only last 6 months.. By the time you get them from many suppliers they are already 3 months old. I get my reagents right from LaMotte

The ColorQ does not really measure Calcium Hardness, it measures Total Hardness, no matter what they label the test.. :(

I know, because I often use my ColorQ...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Today I tested with my Lamotte Gen 3 Color Q with the following results:
FCL = 3.5
tCL = 3.5
PH = 7.3
Alk = 64
Calcium Hardness = 149!!! (lower than prior test which said to add 50 lbs, was 183 prior)
Temp = 80F
CYA = 83
Salt = 3300
TDS = 3290

What were all of the readings before you added the calcium chloride?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.