Added Heater, PSI increase

Mcb

Jan 3, 2018
Chino hills, CA
I added a pool heater yesterday. A Mastertemp 400. After it was installed I noticed the filter pressure jumped from 10-11 to 17-18. The installer said the heater alone won't cause that to happen. If anything it should make it drop? That does not make sense does it? Since then I had to increase the suction on the pool cleaner to make it operate better.

Was it a coincidence?

The installer said the heater alone won't cause that to happen. If anything it should make it drop?

Adding a heat exchanger with several narrow tubes is definitely going to increase the pressure, although I don't think it should increase it by that much. If your installer thinks a heater would decrease the pressure, he probably doesn't know enough about pool equipment to do the job properly and may have caused the problem!

Depending on the diameter of the heater plumbing, bends and turns, and the type of material the plumbing is made of will all have a bearing on the pressure increase.
From what few heaters i have seen (living in Texas), I wouldn't be surprised to see a considerable increase.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.