Acid Washing Pool - Questions

Nov 4, 2011
Atascocita, Texas
I have stains in my white pool plaster. I have tried scrubbing this out to no avail.

Pool is 6 years old and I was think I would acid wash to help remove stains. I did an initial acid was around top perimeter and it did clean up well.

I read a number of posts that really seemed to discourage acid washes - reducing life of plaster, etc. I was planning to make sure to use as light a mixture of MA as possible to minimize the impact.

Should I do a no drain acid wash instead - will need to research this further. Pool being pumped now!

Appreciate the experts guidance on this please help! Thanks in advance

Pics attached

Attachments

• IMG_20170301_154035.jpg
    IMG_20170301_154035.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20170301_154013.jpg
    IMG_20170301_154013.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 43
Have you read this article? Pool School - Stains in Your Pool

First thing to do is determine what the stain is.

If it is organic then elevated chlorine and brushing will remove it.

If it is iron or copper then acid will remove it.

If you do need an acid treatment to remove the stain then this is the order to try them, from least aggressive to most aggressive.

First, AA treatment
Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Second, no drain acid bath
The Zero Alkalinity Acid Treatment

Third, drain and acid wash

Thanks for the information this is very helpful.

I read through this material. It does appear to be organic as I scrubbed with Clorox chlorine crystals and that did remove some of the stain. For organic stains I see that I need to maintain the pool at 60% of the shock chlorine level. For how long - until I am satisfied or tired of scrubbing daily lol?

LOL! Yep, that'll do it. You can go up to full shock level, it won't hurt and might help, if you want to. How long? It depends. :) Really hard to say how long, depends on lots of factors. I would guess a week or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.