Accidental floor return in tanning ledge.

Pool_Doctor

Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2022
Little Rock, Ar
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello fellow TFP community members.We recently had a pool built and have two plumbing questions related to our tanning ledge.

1) The pool has 4 return inlets - 3 in wall and one floor inlet in the tanning ledge. All 4 returns are looped together. The tanning ledge floor return is just a 1.5” pvc pipe set flush with the plaster. There is no adjustable floor inlet attached, just a pvc pipe flush with plaster floor. With no way to reduce or direct the flow from the floor inlet, it essentially acts as a bubbler all the time. If the pump is turned up, the water plum is over 1 foot above the pool surface. This configuration causes waves throughout the pool so much that it splashes onto the pool decking.

The PB, recommended to chip down, cap the floor return, put a deco tile piece like a turtle over it and replanted and grout the new floor art in place. Said nobody would know there was ever a floor return there once completed.

The return is roughly 3’ in from the pool wall. My concern is that would result in a 3’ section of capped line which I fear could cause water chemistry problems later on. Not sure why the PB didn’t recommend installing an adjustable floor inlet as another option. Doesn’t seem like any more work to chip down and install it verses the deco tile art. I attached a link to a Hayward SP1425s in floor adjustable inlet that forces the water out to the sides in a circle instead of straight up. That would allow me to reduce the flow rate to the floor return and increase the return flow rate to the pool without causing such big waves throughout the pool.

So I’m hoping that one of the plumbing gurus can chime in on the pros and cons of these two options and any other suggestions they might have.

2) There are 3 bubblers on the tanning ledge about 18 inches from where it meets the rest of the pool. The bubblers produce a large plume as is withe the 1.65hp water feature pump that it shares with the waterfall. Like the floor inlet, these are also just pipe plumbed flush with the plaster. Unlike the floor return, the bubbler pipe is 1”. Should these have a bubbler cap on the end that sits flush with the plaster? Would that produce a higher plume? Can someone recommend a bubbler cap for 1” pvc pipe?

Reactions: CoachAlex
That capped line will be fine and should not affect your chemistry of 20k gal pool.
That adjustable nozzle has threads on the end and the PVC likely is just pipe that has been cut off. You would have to cut pipe, attach a slip by threaded fitting then the nozzle could screw in.

That return should have been on the side wall of the tanning ledge. That way it would have pushed debris across the ledge towards the pool. Just a poor design. Probably better to have no return then one that shoots upwards.

As you already have 3 bubblers which are doing basically the same thing. Do you have separate lines to each of the bubblers with a valve on each? That would allow control of the flow to each bubbler.

Thank you Herman, we like the deco tile option and now that you’ve put my concerns to rest, we just need to pick out our new art piece for the pool.

The 3 bubblers are looped as one so I can’t adjust them separately. However there is no variation between the bubblers so no need for adjusting separately. We have had several things that didn’t go exactly as planned, but our PB has made everything perfect. So I have no complaints about our PB. That probably lands me in the 1% club.

Thanks again and I’ve really benefited from the TFP methodology!

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.