Above ground pool

Thatsrich85

May 5, 2019
London, Ontario, Canada
Hello all,

New member here. I hooked up my pump and filter today. After putting the hoses on the return jet, it now has a slow drip leak from around the threads.

No matter how tight I make it, or loosen and readjust, I simply can not get it to stop dripping.

Last year was the first year with the pool and it did not leak last year..

Help

Hello all,

New member here. I hooked up my pump and filter today. After putting the hoses on the return jet, it now has a slow drip leak from around the threads.

No matter how tight I make it, or loosen and readjust, I simply can not get it to stop dripping.

Last year was the first year with the pool and it did not leak last year..

Help
The plastic threads might be cross threaded. We've used the plumbing tape successfully on the plastic fittings before. Since you want them to be removable. :)

Reactions: Casey
I wasn’t sure you could use Teflon tape on them as they are plastic. I feared a cracked fitting.
Often times you can as long as you don't use too much tape. Maybe 1-2 wraps and a gentle tightening.

Last edited:
You may need a new gasket between the outside pool wall and the fitting. You can also use pipe thread dope if you are worried about cracking a fitting. Its a paste and the excess will just ooze out.

If you continue to have issues. You may want to try the Plasto Joint Stick. Designed for plastic fittings.
I learned about it years ago on this forum and it's the only thing to solve my most troubling leaky/weepy fittings (filter inlet, pump discharge).
Make sure the fitting is bone-dry and apply liberally. It stays tacky (it can be a bit crumbly) and seems to work best if you can let it sit in the threads for about an hour before exposing to water/pressure.

Best of luck in a quick resolution.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you set up the pool yourself or did an installer do it? I would not use that black fitting you have. It's really not the appropriate fitting for the job. Does it screw into the return fitting or does it have a barb at both ends? Also the flex spa tubing should be glued instead of using hose clamps to secure it. If you want a good, secure connection that doesn't leak, I would recommend hard plumbing the pool, using a ball union fitting between the filter and the return. You can cut off flow when you need to and unscrew the union to put away the pump and filter for winter.
You should be able to unscrew the eyeball fitting from the return and screw a plug into the opening to make repairs without draining the pool down. Coming out of the return, you would use a schedule 40 elbow with a female screw on end and a male slip end, then a run of vertical pipe about a foot to a ball valve union with another vertical run of pipe to the level of your filter output. At that point you would add another elbow with slip ends and glue a horizontal run to the filter output. You can add another plain union at that point to make it easier to store over winter without a big piece of pipe hanging off of it.

Did you set up the pool yourself or did an installer do it? I would not use that black fitting you have. It's really not the appropriate fitting for the job. Does it screw into the return fitting or does it have a barb at both ends? Also the flex spa tubing should be glued instead of using hose clamps to secure it. If you want a good, secure connection that doesn't leak, I would recommend hard plumbing the pool, using a ball union fitting between the filter and the return. You can cut off flow when you need to and unscrew the union to put away the pump and filter for winter.
You should be able to unscrew the eyeball fitting from the return and screw a plug into the opening to make repairs without draining the pool down. Coming out of the return, you would use a schedule 40 elbow with a female screw on end and a male slip end, then a run of vertical pipe about a foot to a ball valve union with another vertical run of pipe to the level of your filter output. At that point you would add another elbow with slip ends and glue a horizontal run to the filter output. You can add another plain union at that point to make it easier to store over winter without a big piece of pipe hanging off of it.

An installer the pool and spa place we purchased from installed it.

They used the hose clamps.

Do you have examples of what you are referring to?

And if I glue these connections, how do I disassemble for winter?

The unions unscrew and allow you to disassemble and reassemble as needed.0C1F1898-E742-4AA3-A8C4-7CC18C5FD4D1.png This photo shows a pool plumbed with a combination of flex and hard pvc. The ball union valves unscrew at one end and allow for equipment to be moved or replaced as needed.
5A9EAA33-AC8E-4818-A058-6464915D624F.png This is a close up of the return fitting. It is the same type return fitting you have, except instead of the black piece inserted I have a white female connector screwed on the return threads. It is a female fitting with a threaded connection on one end and a slip connection on the other. Next is a short piece of flex pvc glued to an elbow,
D446BE64-28E6-4E42-A940-0A473A1276BB.png followed by a long piece of flex pvc that runs to ground level and is glued to another elbow. Just after the second elbow is the ball valve union. The ring to the right of the valve handle unscrews and allows you to remove the equipment. The valve shuts off the flow of water so you don't drain your pool in the process.
0B75D646-467B-463B-8A40-CC774AC05814.pngThis photo shows a union without a valve attached. The large ring unscrews to separate the two pieces. Below is a union that has been unscrewed.

There are unions or ball valve unions coming off the skimmer, between the pump and filter, and between the filter and return. There was an addition union added on the return line that just removes a section of the run, as there was a plan to add an SWG in that spot in the future.

Ball valve unions are available at full service pool stores and lots of places online. Plain unions are available at most big box hardware stores.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.