Above ground pool right on the sea shore in Jamaica WI.

Nov 27, 2017
Jamaica WI
Hello all.
We are planning to open a small Learn to Swim program in Port Antonio, Jamaica. The piece of land we got is right on the edge of the sea. Our funds are limited ( in fact we only have a little portion of what is needed, but will be doing a fundraising), so we can not afford to build a real concrete pool, so we are thinking of buying an above ground ones to import here. Right now looking at the Saltwater 5000 oval 33x18. I am looking for an advises/suggestions of what system to use:
SWG? Regular chlorine system? Use sea water? What pool kit is better? Where should we buy ( or not to buy)? Etc
Keeping in mind the environment and limited access to equipment and absolutely zero qualified support. If anyone is willing to volunteer and lead us through the process we will be very grateful.

The two most common methods of chlorination for residential pools are manually adding liquid chlorine each day or an SWG. SWGs are very convenient, but there is an up-front cost, so if your funds are limited that may be something to plan for. Since this will be a type of training pool open to the public, be sure to check with your local authorities about any specific chlorination requirements. For testing the water, we advise either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. Which one you get might depend on online service to your area. But you want one of those for sure.

Thank you for your reply. I do have K-2006 as I'm running my own pool where the kids swim now. I have a chlorine system and having trouble keeping the water clear and blue. It's hot, too much rain, or drought and not enough water, always some kind of troubles. Liquid chlorine is much more expensive here so we use di-chlore and tablets.
Why SWG is a better choice? Is it easier to maintain? Can I use some sea water mixed with fresh water to replace the salt?

The SWG is nice because you don't have to manually add chlorine each day. The cell uses salt in the water to create chlorine gas throughout the day. Both liquid and SWG produce chlorine, just in different ways. Be careful about the dichlor and tabs. They are "stabilized" forms of chlorine which means they increase your CYA level with each application. When the CYA gets too high, you can't balance the FC properly and end-up getting algae (cloudy/green water). See our FC/CYA Levels. The only way to remove algae is by following our SLAM Process. I would not mix fresh and sea water. They have much different saline levels, not to mention organic material form the sea.

Does SWG have to run 24x7? We have very high electricity cost here.
I do have a problem with high stabilizer with my pool. Rain does help to dilute the water a little. I thought that only the tablets have high stabilizer and was using powder while waiting for the rain to bring stabilizer down. Replacing the water is not an option as the pool is big, we have no city water and trucking the water up is very expensive.

SWGs do not need to run 24/7. The amount of time required depends on its size and how much FC is required for the pool. CYA doesn't dilute, but if you get enough rain to where your pool overflows or needs to be drained a little, then the CYA could fall. If you look at the package ingredients for the powdered shock products, you'll probably see either Tri-Chlor or Di-Chlor on the label which mean sit is adding stabilizer. The only other product is Cal-Hypo which would be adding calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.