Above Ground Pool Installation - Dirt Work

Smiles79

May 22, 2019
Missouri
I will be installing myself a 27' round above ground pool the first weekend of May. In two weeks I have a guy with a skid loader coming to help me level the ground and spread sand for the pool. I've got a question for those that have done this before:

Should the ground be leveled (I know to cut down any high spots rather than build up low spots), then the sand spread on top and leveled, and the patio blocks set to be level with the sand? This would essentially create a raised sand platform that the pool will then be set on. Or should a shallow round hole be dug (27' or so in diameter, a couple inches deep) so that once the sand is added it will then be level with the ground around it? This seems more difficult and incorrect.

Also, sounds like I need to get whatever amount of sand necessary to create a 2" or so base below the pool. Is that correct?

Thanks a bunch, any tips are welcome!

Check these out- The first is a guy who did really nice work on his ground and good pics, the second is our reference.

Check these out- The first is a guy who did really nice work on his ground and good pics, the second is our reference.
Thanks for the reply, though I didn't quite find the answer to my question. Should the pad of sand just be sitting on top of the ground around it? Or do I dig down to create a pit for the sand to sit in, to allow it to then be level with the ground around it?

The top of the pavers should be level with the undisturbed soil. The pool uprights should sit on the pavers, and the bottom rail should also be on undisturbed soil.

The sand should be spread and leveled inside the pool.

You don’t want the pavers or supports for the pool sitting on sand; the sand can shift or get washed out and then the pool will sink and be out of level or worse.

Reactions: hwy17 and PoolMammy
The top of the pavers should be level with the undisturbed soil. The pool uprights should sit on the pavers, and the bottom rail should also be on undisturbed soil.

The sand should be spread and leveled inside the pool.

You don’t want the pavers or supports for the pool sitting on sand; the sand can shift or get washed out and then the pool will sink and be out of level or worse.
Ah ok. So level the ground, dig down for the pavers so they're level with the undisturbed soil and each other, put the pool wall up, then dump the sand inside? So the bottom of the support legs will be a little lower than the bottom of the liner?

Ah ok. So level the ground, dig down for the pavers so they're level with the undisturbed soil and each other, put the pool wall up, then dump the sand inside? So the bottom of the support legs will be a little lower than the bottom of the liner?
You got it. Though I’d put the pile of sand in the middle of the circle before you put the walls up, rather than trying to get it in there after the fact. Then spread it out and level it after the wall is up.

Are you using a foam cove, or just the sand?

If a foam cove, you’ll put that on top of the sand, against the inside wall of the pool.

If you’re just using the sand, you’ll build up a cove using sand on the inside wall of the pool.

One or the other is important, as that cove is what will prevent the liner from potentially getting pushed/caught under the pool wall.

You got it. Though I’d put the pile of sand in the middle of the circle before you put the walls up, rather than trying to get it in there after the fact. Then spread it out and level it after the wall is up.

Are you using a foam cove, or just the sand?

If a foam cove, you’ll put that on top of the sand, against the inside wall of the pool.

If you’re just using the sand, you’ll build up a cove using sand on the inside wall of the pool.

One or the other is important, as that cove is what will prevent the liner from potentially getting pushed/caught under the pool wall.
Great! Good tip haha. I've got a foame cove.

Reactions: magiteck
Put the bottom track together with the boot plates to see where you'll need to sink the pavers.

Reactions: JoeSelf
If you lay out the bottom track, for reference, you'll know exactly where the pavers will need to be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You really do need to do at least that, or you may be spending a lot of time resetting your pavers once you are ready to install.

Reactions: magiteck
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.