Above ground pool install. Soil problems.

Live4toys

Silver Supporter
Jun 16, 2022
Ohio
We purchased a 21x43 oval above ground pool that I am installing myself.

I began leveling the ground, which is about 1.5 feet out of level. As I was grading down the deeper side I realized that I never hit any truly solid brown dirt or clay. It’s all pure dark black soil. Like topsoil. So I dug a an additional two foot deep test hole to see what I would hit. And it’s still basically the same.

As far as I know the ground has not been graded or changed since the house was built in 1991.

It it ok it install on this?

If not I could go down 1-1.5 feel and put in a rock base with stone dust and then sand on top possibly?

Any experienced advise is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Jeremy.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The number one concern is for the supporting posts/pavers that stabilize the entire pool structure. While large pavers tend to spread-out the weight for stability, some gravel under the pavers might be a good idea if you believe they could sink, especially when the area gets wet. The liner of the pool "should" disperse its weight evenly across the body of the liner floor. Other AGP owners have placed XPS insulation panels or Gorilla pads under the liner to protect it from sharp objects below. Something like that may also help keep the floor firm to the feet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.