Above Ground Pool Fencing Ideas

paco103

Mar 17, 2020
new york
Hi, I'm looking for cheap AGP fencing ideas. We don't have children. It is just to ensure we are to code. We want to do it ourselves and we must install in the lawn. We are open to any suggestions and the town doesn't have any requirements other than the fence be 4' tall. Would love a little privacy though and happy if this is temporary! TIA

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm not a rules expert, but wanted to ask a question just in case it applies. Do you have to have a fence for your AGP, or simply a way to isolate access into the pool? I ask because there are ladder gates and such that prevent someone from going up the ladder into the AGP if that would help. If there's no way around the fence requirement, I know it can get pretty detailed with height, gaps, latches, etc.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm not a rules expert, but wanted to ask a question just in case it applies. Do you have to have a fence for your AGP, or simply a way to isolate access into the pool? I ask because there are ladder gates and such that prevent someone from going up the ladder into the AGP if that would help. If there's no way around the fence requirement, I know it can get pretty detailed with height, gaps, latches, etc.

Hi thank you! I must not have notifications on. Yes we must have fencing. We did get a ladder with gate though. it must be 4’. Other than that, no restrictions. We will probably end up getting 5’ stakes and privacy fabric and just hammering it into ground to create a border. We are going to remove after the season. Haven’t come up with anything better!

Hi thank you! I must not have notifications on. Yes we must have fencing. We did get a ladder with gate though. it must be 4’. Other than that, no restrictions. We will probably end up getting 5’ stakes and privacy fabric and just hammering it into ground to create a border. We are going to remove after the season. Haven’t come up with anything better!
Check that meets your local code fencing requirements. For example, here the city code for pools is 4' fencing, BUT it also says the posts must be set in concrete. Concrete for fence posts is specific to pool fences, fences for other purposes have no such concrete requirement. The purpose of the fence is to keep curious kids out of the pool...5' stakes and fabric doesn't seem like it would be acceptable, but your local code may allow it.

Also check with your homeowners insurance. They may not accept that as a suitable fence which may cause issues with pool related liability coverage, should something unfortunately happen.

I suspect if you are dead set on a temporary fence the best thing is likely one of those fences that bolts to your pool and goes around the top, combined with a locking ladder. No privacy but it better meets the goal of keeping people out of the pool that shouldn't be in there.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Check that meets your local code fencing requirements. For example, here the city code for pools is 4' fencing, BUT it also says the posts must be set in concrete. Concrete for fence posts is specific to pool fences, fences for other purposes have no such concrete requirement. The purpose of the fence is to keep curious kids out of the pool...5' stakes and fabric doesn't seem like it would be acceptable, but your local code may allow it.

Also check with your homeowners insurance. They may not accept that as a suitable fence which may cause issues with pool related liability coverage, should something unfortunately happen.

I suspect if you are dead set on a temporary fence the best thing is likely one of those fences that bolts to your pool and goes around the top, combined with a locking ladder. No privacy but it better meets the goal of keeping people out of the pool that shouldn't be in there.

Just my two cents.
Thank you. We did check the code and believe it or not there is nothing specific at all. I’m going to check the home owners too. We have fencing on two sides of property and are in a pretty remote area but yes, we need to protect ourselves and others. I agree. Thank you m

Reactions: jseyfert3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.