Above ground pool deep end

Aug 9, 2014
I've decided to upgrade my intex pool with an oval aboveground pool approx 16x24.

I read somewhere that you can put a deep end in an above ground pool with an expandable liner.
If so how deep can it be?
Has anyone done this?
Thank you
Tim

Couldn't do it with my pool, straps below on the straight sides. There are some makes that don't have the straps. these are the ones that you can do this with.

Do a search on the site, it's been talked about before.

Voiding warranty depends on the pool. Doughboy advertise being able to put in a deep end with their pools, and they have installers that do it for you. We have a deep end on our round 28' pool. I'm not sure about oval pools - I'm pretty sure there are some people on this forum that have ovals with deep ends. The issue is in the size of the pool as you can't just dig straight down from the sides, you need a small "shelf" about 1 ft around the edge of the deep end.

We like having a deep end.

Thank you pigeon for the quick reply. I was reading about the ledge and slope. Do you have a buttress free pool? To be dead honest (may sound crazy) I'm not too concerned about the warranty. There are soo many factors to getting any warranty work done anyway.
How deep is yours? Is your pool a 48",52",or 54" pool.?
Thanks again.

There are some AGP manufacturers that can do a deep end on an oval pool. Doughboy is one brand I know of. I think you can also do a deep end with Radiant pools. Where are you located? You can try to either find a dealer in your area, or find someone who installs AGPs with a deep end and order online.

We have a Doughboy pool, 16 x 28 and installed a deep end, 7 feet deep. It did require an expandable liner specifically for deep ends (with a warranty). Doughboy's instructions have you keep a ledge at least 1-2 feet wide around the deep end, sloping from shallow to deep along the middle, and sloping from the sides to the deep end. We also put in a main drain when we installed the pool. Glad we have it for the teenagers. :cool:

Our pool is 52" and 28 ft round (so no buttresses). We went with round because it fit our yard and it was a less expensive option than the oval (I personally like the look of the oval better, but round definitely gives you more bang for the buck!). Ours is a doughboy (autumn breeze), which we specifically got because of the deep end. The dealer that we got ours from also did radiant pools and I wasn't aware that they would do a deep end for those at the time.

We love our pool and really enjoy having the deep end. It's not meant for diving, but it's a lot of fun for cannonballs, etc. It's probably about 6.5 ft deep.

Funnily enough, we are originally from the GTA! You could also look into the "ultimate pools". They are steel walled - I believe they have a plant in Burlington (link is here: Home). That is one option I was interested in when we got our pool, but we went with doughboy instead.

Let me know if you have any questions. I love "running into" fellow Canadians :D

We have a Doughboy pool, 16 x 28 and installed a deep end, 7 feet deep. It did require an expandable liner specifically for deep ends (with a warranty). Doughboy's instructions have you keep a ledge at least 1-2 feet wide around the deep end, sloping from shallow to deep along the middle, and sloping from the sides to the deep end. We also put in a main drain when we installed the pool. Glad we have it for the teenagers. :cool:
Hello! I happened to come across your comment about having an oval doughboy with deep end and wanted to see if you were still on the site. We are considering a similar build and I was wondering if you might be willing to answer some follow up questionable. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Woohoo! Well, you already answered my first question - your pool is still standing so that's a good sign! Lol.

I'm mostly curious about the deep end layout and the ledges that are required around the edges. I was wondering whether you've had any issues with people jumping in and hitting the "ledge". Is that something you've ever worried about or experienced?

Do you know how much shallow end you have remaining? I would love to do the deep end for the extra jumping space for the kids, but want to make sure there is enough "shallow end" play space as well.

Finally, I noticed that you add salt to your pool. I'm not sure what exactly that means in terms of amount of salt compared to using a SWG, but I was considering trying to use a SWG and am concerned about running into corrosion issues.

Any other thoughts based on your experience with the pool - things you are glad you did or wish you had done differently?

Thank you so much!

Staring at all the water in the winter cover. Ready to start getting ready to swim. The pics of those southerners' pools really make it hard to wait as a northerner. :cautious:

Are you planning on replacing the Intex pool? I'm not sure you can "give" it a deep end. Our Doughboy had directions on how to specifically install it with the pressure plates that give the wall it's stability, and strapless design (no straps across the bottom that hold the walls in place)

I googled and pulled up some pics for you:
1583894454026.png
1583894503749.png

1583894535627.png

So the "ledges" have sand on top of them so you don't feel them. They are also along the long straight sides of the pool next to the deep end. They are what gives the pool stability and do not move at all. Jumping on them would be no different than jumping on the flat floor of the pool. If you feel them, they have been installed wrong and could put a hole in your liner. Our Doughboy instructions gave specific directions for installing them (and that is whether or not a deep end is dug).

We dump bags of salt in the water and add borates for the feel of the water. The liner is installed with coping and then metal stabalizer pieces and then the top rails. The metal stabalizer pieces are the ones that corrode and we needed to replace them when we changed our liner 2 summers ago. Nothing else seemed to have a problem. But then again, we don't add a lot of salt. Just 2-3 bags for the entire summer.

I'll have to think through any of our "yes do and don't ever do again" thoughts and get back with you. :unsure:

Attachments

• DSCF2008.jpg
    DSCF2008.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 6
Thank you!!!

Yes, lol, this will be a replacement for our current Intex. We are going into season #3 with the Intex and feeling ready to get something more permanent now that we have "tested the waters" with our Intex.

As far as the ledges, makes sense that they are covered with sand. I was more wondering if people hit/feel that area when they jump into the pool. Maybe that doesn't make sense...

As far as the ledges, makes sense that they are covered with sand. I was more wondering if people hit/feel that area when they jump into the pool. Maybe that doesn't make sense...
Yeah, it does make sense but it doesn't feel any different than the rest of the bottom. :cool:

Thank you!!!
Yes, lol, this will be a replacement for our current Intex. We are going into season #3 with the Intex and feeling ready to get something more permanent now that we have "tested the waters" with our Intex.
You are very welcome and I was hoping you were not going to try and make a deep end in an Intex. LOL Now that would be an interesting thread discussion. :laughblue:

Lol! That would have been! Thanks again for your help and glad you are happy with your pool!
Oh - I thought of one more question!

I know you have a 16 x 28 and a 7' deep end. Do you happen to know how many feet of flat shallow end that left you with? And even if not, have you felt that the amount of shallow end you have available has been enough for typically shallow end play/activities? Any wishes that you had gone a little deeper or less deep?

Oh - I thought of one more question!

I know you have a 16 x 28 and a 7' deep end. Do you happen to know how many feet of flat shallow end that left you with? And even if not, have you felt that the amount of shallow end you have available has been enough for typically shallow end play/activities? Any wishes that you had gone a little deeper or less deep?
I'm guessing maybe 10-12 ft shallow end. There is also the shallow ledge to walk all the way around the inside along the walls. I would say the amount of shallow end seems to work fine but when a big group is in the pool, its too small of an area. When trying to play volleyball it gets a bit difficult. LOL. When we have a party, the kids are swimming and jumping in the shallow and deep end. The adults float in the deep end.

We always made sure we told anyone who came near the pool No Diving. Its too shallow. Usually they listened. If it was a kid and he didn't listen, I made him sit out until he was ready to listen. LOL.

Most of the time, the littler kids hang out on the steps. That seems to be more of an issue re: shallow end room. ;o)
I originally wanted to stay shallow but hubby talked me into a deep end. Our son was 5 at the time and being an ex-lifeguard I was a little nervous. Hubby said when the kids get older, they will love a deep end, and he was right. Now our son is 18 and only swims when his friends come over. We could not go deeper, 7 is the max with the Doughboy pool. The flat deep end portion really is only 2-3 ft wide. The slope going from shallow to deep end measures ~6-8 ft if you measure from where it starts in the shallow end. Sometimes when I'm walking along, I forget its there and slide down it a little. LOL. So the deep end worked great for the kids. Maybe not so much for the adults.

Something to consider: some TFP members have what are called "sports pools". Sports pool vs traditional deep end

We have enjoyed the deep end and I like swimming deep sometimes, but now I would seriously consider a sports pool in my "old age".

To answer an earlier question as to what we would have done differently, the pool would have been closer to the property fence line, paver bricks along the fence line instead of stones, wider paver brick deck along the side of the pool, access steps from the back of the deck (for easier cleaning purposes.) So I guess nothing different re: the pool. It was free and we made it work great. Well maybe a bigger pool but then we would have had to take down our garage in our small back yard. :laughblue:

Hope all of this helps. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.