Above Ground Pool Advice

baze

Apr 26, 2017
Kansas
I am going to be buying a new above ground pool and want some advice. I am looking at the Intex 16' Ultra Frame pool. Last year I bought a Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 1200 GPH that I plan on using. My plan is to install a skimmer into the pool. Is this a good way to go? I don't want to go too cheap but I also want a pool that will last for a few year. Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Baze

That 1200 gph pump and filter is pretty small, but with a little care it should work for the 16' pool. If you find that it's not big enough, you can always change it out for the bigger one without any problem.

The Ultra Frame pools usually get good reviews here.

I have a 16' Intex Ultra Frame that is going on year 4 now. The liner is quite faded, but other than that I've had no problems with it. We looked into getting a 'proper' above ground pool, but I figured I can buy a brand new Intex every few years and still come out ahead.

A Hayward DynaSkim is a great addition to these pools and will help keep it much cleaner. I would suggest a larger pump though, at least 2500 gph. You'll especially need it if you ever decide to get a robot. I've got a 4500 gph with a 19" sand filter on mine, and I love it. Don't hesitate to look into other brand pumps besides Intex. They are easily adapted to fit and can be even cheaper and more reliable.

I've started a couple of threads on my pool if you're interested. Many others here have posted some great ideas too. Look around and get an idea of what you can do before you commit yourself.

Dimension at the ground for Intex 16' Ultra frame pool.

New pump arrived today

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.