Above Ground Custom Ladder

Unclebeffy727

Aug 5, 2021
Florida
Has anyone made their own ladder for their above ground yet? I'm trying to come up with ideas on how to and what to make it out of. Ive come up with a few ideas but I'm not really sure they will be able to hold up to 250lbs as some of the folks that will be using the pool are close to that weight. I appreciate all suggestions and ideas. Thanks in advance!

I bought a house with a kinda custom setup. They built real stairs and then had a beefy half ladder bolted to the pool/ stairs. BA9C8D03-BEAC-472A-AE90-673E145FBFD1.jpeg

I’m 6’4’’ and 275 lbs and for all the things I’ve broken from my size, including just standing in the acrylic tub and it cracking while taking a shower, I’ve never had an issue with anyone’s wedding cake style steps in an above ground.

Confer makes ladders like the above pic and that one was fine for me too.

I built one. It's very sturdy and I love it, and everyone loves it, especially the platform in the water. But I HATED building it. It took so long to build and it ended up being more expensive. I just wanted something 2 people could sit on and stick their feet in. And easy to get in and out. It's very easy to use.

But oh my goodness was it complicated to build and make sure it's strong enough. If wedding cake steps would have been in stock I would have done that and I would be money ahead. I plan on painting it grey to match the pool over winter.

I thought I had more pictures, but I was probably too aggravated to take any. If you do this, bite the bullet and get the symmetrical fittings. I save about $100 using DWV fittings, but it really, really complicated things.

If someone wants more info I can put something together. Ignore the mats. I'm going to put flat boards on the bottom and glue the mats to the boards. The mats didn't like to stay put the way I have it now.

2021-09-24 08_38_23-Photo - Google Photos.png

This is the only picture I can find that I took during the build.
2021-09-24 08_40_10-Photo - Google Photos.png

• Love
Reactions: vmaxed and Newdude
Has anyone made their own ladder for their above ground yet? I'm trying to come up with ideas on how to and what to make it out of. Ive come up with a few ideas but I'm not really sure they will be able to hold up to 250lbs as some of the folks that will be using the pool are close to that weight. I appreciate all suggestions and ideas. Thanks in advance!
Post a couple pics of what you’re working with & wish to accomplish-no doubt you will get some new ideas here. I for one despise ladders (bad knees & ankles) & prefer wide steps with a hand rail that allow kids/adults to sit without blocking the entrance/exit. I have a deck so only needed a solution for inside the pool. Wedding cake steps were an easy pick for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.