About to sign a contract (North Houston area)

HtownPool08

May 8, 2020
Houston, TX
We're narrowing in on a single pool builder in the Spring area of Houston and this site has been incredibly helpful.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the proposal below which is leading at the moment. I've gone back and had some updates already, but here's where things stand as we get closer to signing on the dotted line (sorry no pics at the moment, asked for some design changes recently which they're incorporating in):

Pool Details;
85 linear foot free form w/ multi-height wall and 3 sheer descents on the back side
7' diameter spa
#4 rebar with 8" spacing
3'6" shallow end to 5' deep end
9" ledge (approx 50 sqft surface area) includes 2 non-light bubblers
Stonescapes Puerto Rico Blend Mini Pebble (color TBD but likely Caribbean Blue)
1 bench in deep end (1' 6" depth)
1 skimmer
5 returns
Autofill
Pool and deck drain

Equipment:
Pentair VS Pump (011056)
Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter
Pentair Intellicenter Bundle (521903)
Glacier Chiller (GPC 25)
2 HP Blower for Spa
Pentair Mastertemp Heater 250k BTU for Spa
All valves Pentair
Lights - Microbrites (1 in spa, 2 in pool, 1 on wall above ledge)
Cleaner - will buy a robot from Marina, PB gave a price deduct to remove Pentair Racer and Booster Pump

Other:
Decking will be travertine to match our existing pergola/outdoor kitchen area and tie directly in (Keystone tile - Shell Beach)
Pool coping with be contrasting travertine (Keystone tile - Blue Moon or Nordic Silver)
Wall and raise spa will have Shell Beach split face travertine
Waterline tile (Keystone tile Lumi Black 1" x 2")
Umbrella holes - as many as we like, no extra charge

Last edited:
Equipment looks good, unless we can talk you into salt.

The only thing I see is that 3.5" is pretty shallow and would see if you can increase that a few inches.

We're narrowing in on a single pool builder in the Spring area of Houston and this site has been incredibly helpful.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the proposal below which is leading at the moment. I've gone back and had some updates already, but here's where things stand as we get closer to signing on the dotted line (sorry no pics at the moment, asked for some design changes recently which they're incorporating in):

Pool Details;
85 linear foot free form w/ multi-height wall and 3 sheer descents on the back side
7' diameter spa
#4 rebar with 8" spacing
3'6" shallow end to 5' deep end
9" ledge (approx 50 sqft surface area) includes 2 non-light bubblers
Stonescapes Puerto Rico Blend Mini Pebble (color TBD but likely Caribbean Blue)
1 bench in deep end (1' 6" depth)
1 skimmer
5 returns
Autofill
Pool and deck drain

Equipment:
Pentair VS Pump (011056)
Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter
Pentair Intellicenter Bundle (521903)
Glacier Chiller (GPC 25)
2 HP Blower for Spa
Pentair Mastertemp Heater 250k BTU for Spa
All valves Pentair
Lights - Microbrites (1 in spa, 2 in pool, 1 on wall above ledge)
Cleaner - will buy a robot from Marina, PB gave a price deduct to remove Pentair Racer and Booster Pump

Other:
Decking will be travertine to match our existing pergola/outdoor kitchen area and tie directly in (Keystone tile - Shell Beach)
Pool coping with be contrasting travertine (Keystone tile - Blue Moon or Nordic Silver)
Wall and raise spa will have Shell Beach split face travertine
Waterline tile (Keystone tile Lumi Black 1" x 2")
Umbrella holes - as many as we like, no extra charge

I would ask builder to see some examples of pools lighted with microbrites... perhaps add another. Also be sure that they don't face the seating areas... I have a feeling since they are only 1 1/2 inches across that they will be pretty glaring. I have three in my pool which is currently in the middle of its build and really wonder if I should have done 5 (my pool is 37x19 free form diving pool.

Consider increasing the depth of your shallow end to 4' and also adding a second skimmer. I would also add an overflow line to handle the rain we get here in Houston.

+1 on the overfill drain and making the shallow end deeper. Three more things to consider.

If you have the IntelliCenter and can control everything with your phone ditch the remote (we saved $500 by not getting one).

Consider removing the chiller or ask if it can be plumbed to add later, unless you have full sun you may not need it. Water feature run at night do a good job at cooling things down.

Depending on how much force you want you may not need the spa blower. If its designed right and with the VSP motor we took the blower off our spa and it works great without it and is less noisy. We don’t get turbo jet bubbles but it’s enough to message our backs. We sold the blower back to our pool builder 6 months after the build was completed.

Good call on the overflow...missed that for sure. Will have PB add.

We've been back and forth on shallow end being 3.5 or 4 ft. Wife is winning that one right now at 3.5

For the chiller, the orientation of my lot and where the pool will be on it coupled with no tall trees means it's full sun all day so just going to do it. My neighbor, who gets a bit more shade than me, has a pool and his water is 90+. New build suburbia means nice houses but little shade.

I don't want the wireless controller and didn't think the bundle called out came with one. After looking into further, it seems the same model number online can come with or without so will just make sure with the PB have the right bundle called out.

Likely signing contract this week now. Here's the near final render. Only a minor tweak is to come by moving the right edge further away from the fence line (4ft distance to coping). Any final comments are appreciated. Perimeter has been increased from 80 to 90 linear feet.

Note: Pergola/Outdoor kitchen already exist so can't move that.

Attachments

• Pool Render 1.jpg
    Pool Render 1.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Pool Render 2.jpg
    Pool Render 2.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Pool Render 3.jpg
    Pool Render 3.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Looks good. Is there a set back from the back property line you need to be from? If not since its a free form I would attempt to push it back more towardstje back fence line so you done have unusable space, it would also give you a little bit more of your side yard back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks good. Is there a set back from the back property line you need to be from? If not since its a free form I would attempt to push it back more towardstje back fence line so you done have unusable space, it would also give you a little bit more of your side yard back.
There is a setback I'm constrained by unfortunately.

Oddly enough, we started kicking around geometric designs late last night to maximize the space more. Might attempt a revision to see how that would work.

Regarding yard space, this is only a small part of our yard thankfully.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.