About to renovate. Any lighting, water feature etc. I should add or change before we start?

poolintheforest

May 3, 2021
Suffern, New York
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good afternoon.
We are in the process of doing a pool renovation that will remove our sinking concrete and replace it with a new coping and pavers around the pool .
Is there anything out there that I should consider adding to our project before we start. Any new lighting, water features etc. that are a must have and should be considered before the final plans are submitted.

What we are doing:
1) Replacing the concrete around the pool with pavers.
2) Adding a 14'x12' paver area for a gazebo or pergola in the future in the deep end. (More towards the right side of the deep end - not as shown in sketch)
3) To the right of the pool: Putting a slight retaining wall to make an upper and a lower level.
The lower level will have some rocks and landscaping.
The upper level some bushes for privacy and then a fence.

Lighting wise:
Currently we have overhead lighting for the pool (nothing exciting), and one in the deep and that hasn't worked (hoping its an easy fix). We will be adding landscape lighting in the new areas. Nothing crazy just the typical for bushes, walkways etc.

Please see rough sketch and original photo below.
Sketch is by no means professional. Its the best we got done on a phone.

Thank You all in advance for your help, recommendations and considerations.

Sketched.pngOriginal.png

Sounds like the pool itself isn't included in this renovation? Like upgrading your pool equipment?

I would add hardwired 120 volt outlets around the pool for sure.

Sounds like the pool itself isn't included in this renovation? Like upgrading
The pool is not included in this renovation. Just hardscrape for now.
I would add hardwired 120 volt outlets around the pool for sure.
Thank you. In what areas and for any specific purpose other than the low voltage lighting?

Have you ever wished you had an outlet before? If not, you probably don't need one. We use them for powered speakers. I also have the outlets go back to my pool control center so I am able to control on/off from the pool controller including scheduling.

You also could run some CAT5 cable for a WiFi antenna out near the pool if you don't get a good signal out there at the moment. CAT5 is also good for PoE cameras for pool monitoring.

On another note: Your pool must get a TON of leaves in it.

Please make sure that the plumbing is kept under pressure and monitored throughout the project.

It's not uncommon for pipes to get accidentally broken or crushed when doing deck work like this - and finding out when you go to run the pool the first time is, well, 'not ideal'.

Have you ever wished you had an outlet before? If not, you probably don't need one. We use them for powered speakers. I also have the outlets go back to my pool control center so I am able to control on/off from the pool controller including scheduling.

You also could run some CAT5 cable for a WiFi antenna out near the pool if you don't get a good signal out there at the moment. CAT5 is also good for PoE cameras for pool monitoring.

Thank you for the input. How and where would you suggest the outlets be placed.
Just so i get an idea... Definitely a good idea with the landscape lighting and a possible speaker etc.
Wifi is not a bad idea, i think i am ok with that.

Regarding the leaves. Yes its a ton of fun this time of year.
Thank god for my Betta 2 which i love. I do alright. Cleaning it out daily. The next few weeks are going to be a bit difficult but it is what it is. Its hard to get people down here to come when we want them, so for now the pool remains open.

Please make sure that the plumbing is kept under pressure and monitored throughout the project.

It's not uncommon for pipes to get accidentally broken or crushed when doing deck work like this - and finding out when you go to run the pool the first time is, well, 'not ideal'.
Thank you very much for this. Appreciate you looking out. I definitely will keep this in mind.

How and where would you suggest the outlets be placed.
Just so i get an idea... Definitely a good idea with the landscape lighting and a possible speaker etc.
NEC 680.22 A(1) requires a GFCI-protected outlet to be installed not nearer than 6’ and not more than 20’ from the inside wall of the pool. The idea behind this requirement is to cut down on the likelihood that anyone will have extension cords run around the pool and potentially falling into the water.

What are you using to control your pool as you mentioned?
=======================================
Anyone have any lighting recommendations for inside the pool? Just wondering what people are installing these days. Anything that goes under coping? I will search for some posts as well. Just figured I would ask here one i am already posting.

What are you using to control your pool as you mentioned?
=======================================
Anyone have any lighting recommendations for inside the pool? Just wondering what people are installing these days. Anything that goes under coping? I will search for some posts as well. Just figured I would ask here one i am already posting.

I have Aqualink, which is a Jandy product. Someone on here a while back was talking about putting LED lights under the coping. I don't know if there are any "certified for pool use" under coping lighting, however. You should be able to replace your deep end in-pool light with a modern, color changing LED light. It will be expensive, however. I would guess $1000-$1500 with installation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.