A modern pump controller… where art thou?

Jan 19, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Rachio sprinkler controller… it connects to my existing system and runs my zones based on demand. I don’t manage it. It has a weather feed and runs the zones when needed. I think it cost $150 and saved that much money in two months of operation. It does one job, well.
In my imagination there would be a web connected controller, maybe with a temp probe and flow meter to dynamically run my pump more when hot, less when cooler, none below 60 until constantly below 35. It would also do variable speed control to minimize cost. It could send me alerts if there are problems. Saves money on electricity, doesn’t run heaters, fountains, lights, valves, or fireworks shows. Does anyone know if this kind of mythical controller / pump combo exists?

Suggest you patent your thoughts. Or contact Rachio (I have one as well and love it) to expand their product line to pools.

Reactions: dsingram
The Raspberry Pi and Arduino communities have been dorking around with this for years. The missing piece is the centralized cloud based service that would provide the automation logic. I would think there would need to be a full suite of sensors installed to monitor water level, flow through various points in the system, FC levels, amperage draw, etc.

I would expect one of Google's subsidiaries to be the first to offer something like this. A Web/App dash board for fully automated remote control would be pretty cool.

Reactions: dsingram
I also have a Rachio, great piece of equipment.

What you describe exists as a very DIY project, which is getting easier to do with hardware like the Raspberry Pi and some very savvy developers: Pentair IntelliCenter Pool Control Dashboard Instructional Guide

But, as far as I know, nothing exists like that as a stand alone, easy (Rachio easy) product. I'd buy one. Heck, if they were the price of a Rachio I'd buy two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.