A lot of additional chlorine

We function best with information and most people asking for help understand. I know I'd like to know your numbers to double check you and make sure you are adding enough. I know when I ask for help here or elsewhere usually the person I'm asking wants a little background info.
I'm sorry you feel interrogated and would rather label our concern for information to help you "irrelevant" but whatever. Jason answered your question so all's good. :gone:

Is Cal Hypo the best product for what you're doing? What is your current calcium hardness test result?
You don't want to go too high on calcium which is difficult to remove if you overshoot your goal level.
Jeff answered this one....

OP hasn't given any test results. We tried.
As Richard said, it's a secret.

Is Cal Hypo the best product for what you're doing? What is your current calcium hardness test result?
You don't want to go too high on calcium which is difficult to remove if you overshoot your goal level.

Thanks for asking. I mentioned earlier that I chose CalHypo because I have some leeway there, I didn't want to add more CYA, & I didn't want to empty the shelves of every grocer in the county of liquid bleach.
However I was not expecting to use as much CalHypo as I did yesterday & my concerns piqued. But today all is well & I'm on liquid bleach now.

:bigboss:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I hope you have a CYA test handy. Your FC shock target is *completely* dependent on your CYA level. Yes, maybe you can get by for another day or so just dumping bleach in, but very soon you will need to know the actual value. Otherwise you are truly flying blind.

If your pool is green and gooey looking, to where you could almost walk on water, the first jug of chlorine you added might be depleted before you're done adding the last jug.

Knowing that, would it have been prudent to use an extra multiplier when starting? Say the calculator told me to use 760 oz of liquid bleach, would it have benefitted me any to add an extra 20, 30, or 40%

Is there another number I could have used to identify how bad the bloom is & therefore how much chems need to be added?

I put the equivalent of 35 gallons of liquid bleach in my pool over the course of the day. Had I put 10 gallons in my pool the first time, instead of 7 according to the calculator, would I have been off to a better start?

Is it possible I'd have only used 20 gallons instead of 35 over the course of the day?

Knowing that, would it have been prudent to use an extra multiplier when starting? Say the calculator told me to use 760 oz of liquid bleach, would it have benefitted me any to add an extra 20, 30, or 40%

Is there another number I could have used to identify how bad the bloom is & therefore how much chems need to be added?

I put the equivalent of 35 gallons of liquid bleach in my pool over the course of the day. Had I put 10 gallons in my pool the first time, instead of 7 according to the calculator, would I have been off to a better start?

Is it possible I'd have only used 20 gallons instead of 35 over the course of the day?

If CC went super high, it could indicate the CYA has broken down into ammonia, which uses massive amounts of bleach to eliminate and shows up as CC. But it wouldn't have reduced the amount of chlorine needed; it would have just warned you that it would take a lot of bleach. But you see, nobody knows what your CYA level was, nor where it was when you closed, nor what the CC readings were, so nobody has brought that issue up.

The key here is you may not know what you don't know. By providing test results, you could very well have received information that was helpful, but that you were not expecting - and therefore didn't ask (potential ammonia issue for example). There are lots of reasons the group asks for test results, just trust the little system at work here is my suggestion and you'll likely get better/more complete information and also likely be less offended.

To your pump question, the better way to think about it is that you don't have to turn over your water (i.e. have the volume of water in your pool go through your filter) in order to mix chemicals. It has more do with mixing than filtration for FC testing purposes. The mixing occurs with water movement within the pool. Brushing, which is an essential piece to the SLAM process, is also very helpful in distributing chemicals. But regardless, an hour of pump time will get it done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The key here is you may not know what you don't know. By providing test results, you could very well have received information that was helpful, but that you were not expecting - and therefore didn't ask (potential ammonia issue for example). There are lots of reasons the group asks for test results, just trust the little system at work here is my suggestion and you'll likely get better/more complete information and also likely be less offended.

I really don't mean to offend anyone, however, my original question was quite specific.

I'm using the CYA chart I'm using the pool calculator. I'm using the SLAM process.

My question is more about the process than my specifics.

To your pump question, the better way to think about it is that you don't have to turn over your water (i.e. have the volume of water in your pool go through your filter) in order to mix chemicals. It has more do with mixing than filtration for FC testing purposes. The mixing occurs with water movement within the pool. Brushing, which is an essential piece to the SLAM process, is also very helpful in distributing chemicals. But regardless, an hour of pump time will get it done.

Way back when I first found this site it was recommended that I should add liquid bleach at one end of the pool, & get my sample at the other end. There is really no way for water to get to the other end of my pool without going through the drain, filter, & jets.

& since we're talking about ppm, it would only make sense that the flow rate of the pump & volume of water in the pool should be of importance.

Way back when I first found this site it was recommended that I should add liquid bleach at one end of the pool, & get my sample at the other end. There is really no way for water to get to the other end of my pool without going through the drain, filter, & jets.
Actually, that is not true. Just like the ocean, there are currents within your pool that will mix the chemicals with the water without all of it having to go thru the pump. As long as the pump is running the mixing will occur.

Actually, that is not true. Just like the ocean, there are currents within your pool that will mix the chemicals with the water without all of it having to go thru the pump. As long as the pump is running the mixing will occur.
Looks like he does have a raised spa though... For the levels in the spa and pool to reach equilibrium they would have to go through the drain / jets etc so it does seem like a very relavant question

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.