A little help is needed

Jun 20, 2017
Sacramento, CA
Hello everyone.... we are new above ground pool owners... I had no idea we were going to have the issues we have been having with keeping the water clear. It has been a real pain. I went to our local pool supply place and they made it seem so simple, and nothing has worked. The pool will stay clear for maybe a day, the next day it is foggy and it has even gone green a few times. We have switched our pump, vacuumed, brushed, added this... added that... and nothing seems to be holding.

Our Pool is - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OX5BC82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Our pump is - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QIYMNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i am currently using a HTH multi purpose 6 way test strip... I tested the water this morning and the results were
Free Chlorine - 2/4
PH 7.2
Alkalinity 40
total hardness 200
CYA 30-50

I am just unsure where to go from here? Right now the water is foggy... not as bad as it has been but still foggy. It is supposed to be in the 100's today and all of this week, I just really want to get this thing up and going for the kids. I thank you so much for any help!

Welcome to the forum! One of the experts in this group should be along shortly to help you get on track. The first thing I bet they recommend is that you get a "real" test kit. The test strips are referred to here as "guess" strips. The recommended test kits are either the Taylor K-2006c (available on Amazon) or the better deal which is the TF-100 available from TFTestkits.net. Good luck.

Ok cool! I will look into getting one of these. I think I seen these at our local pool store.
Welcome to the forum! One of the experts in this group should be along shortly to help you get on track. The first thing I bet they recommend is that you get a "real" test kit. The test strips are referred to here as "guess" strips. The recommended test kits are either the Taylor K-2006c (available on Amazon) or the better deal which is the TF-100 available from TFTestkits.net. Good luck.

Star Bright,

I just joined and was recommended the two kits listed above. I picked the TF-100 (call it coin toss decision that was supported by a slightly lower cost and free shipping). TF shipped same day so not only free shipping but fast too. Also, I was advised to get the speed stir. You want the speed stir. Even if you don't think you do, if you ever use one, you will kick yourself for not getting it sooner.

I will agree about the speed stir also. I've had mine over a year and it is the coolest thing. I feel like I'm curing diseases and stuff like a real chemist. Anyhow, I also recommend the T100 kit from TFTestkits.com. I had many issues with green water and dumping this and that in there until I got this kit and followed advice on this forum. I only buy bleach now and have had the absolute easiest time keeping my water super clear since then. Once you get your kit, check everything and post the results. I bet the first thing told to you will be to get your PH to 7-7.2. Then start the slam being sure to keep your FC numbers where the corresponding CYA (you will test this with your new kit) value tells you. This is all found on the handy dandy CYA/Chlorine chart that is found in the Handy Reference section of this site.

And don't be afraid to ask questions! Everyone here is awesome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.