A friend wants to build a pool in Cowichan Bay on Vancouver Island

Aug 18, 2018
Dieppe New Brunswick
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I lived in Cowichan Bay for 10 years before I moved to Atlantic Canada.

I thought I would help Em get some better comparisons. I know different kinds of pools are better suited to different parts of North America. For instance vinyl may not be well suited to a super hot climate and fiberglass may not do well with freezing.

For someone just starting out:
It does freeze, but not every year. It can get up to several feet of heavy wet snow, but not every year. She has lots of trees, and wildlife.
AG versus IG [cost versus longevity]
Plaster Gunite Tile
Vinyl versus fiberglass
SWG versus liquid chlorine

The area does have clay and rock. Blasting and excavation can be expensive and excessive noise is prohibited at times as her land is right beside a Heron Rookery. Also the area is subject to occasional shaking from earthquake activity.

She likes the idea of SWG, and she did get a quote of 20K CAD for a fibreglass form.

In terms of a pool detracting from a future property sale. I suppose if one likes pools then a pool could enhance property value, but a case for the reverse could be made.

I am trying to be open minded. I did suggest an AG vinyl with built up decking. Then it is easily removed if they change there minds.

The area does have clay and rock. Blasting and excavation can be expensive and excessive noise is prohibited at times as her land is right beside a Heron Rookery. Also the area is subject to occasional shaking from earthquake activity.

She likes the idea of SWG, and she did get a quote of 20K CAD for a fibreglass form.

In terms of a pool detracting from a future property sale. I suppose if one likes pools then a pool could enhance property value, but a case for the reverse could be made.

I am trying to be open minded. I did suggest an AG vinyl with built up decking. Then it is easily removed if they change there minds.

Really it comes down to budget. I wouldn't worry too much about resale. It can add value but rarely takes it away. If she is going in-ground, I would go gunite over fiberglass since the same excavation is necessary. The Earthquakes activity for sure talk with a structural engineer first. Clay is a good medium for the pool structure. Rock is another issue and may require exploratory holes to be dug. I thought I was going to hit a lot of rock but didn't hit any at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.