Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I am having a heck of a time sealing my pipes.

1. Back To Top    #1

I am having a heck of a time sealing my pipes.

I am almost embarrassed to post this but it is killing me. I installed a new pump and filter this weekend. At the points where I have to screw the 1 1/2" pipe into both the pump and the filter, I have small dripping leaks. I have unscrewed and rescrewed these connections a few times each and still cannot seem to get rid of the really small leaks. I am using standard pipe tape and I am tightening the **** out of the adapter! Any suggestions? I have heard mention of "pipe dope". What is it? Does it work better?
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: I am having a heck of a time sealing my pipes.

Hi, Keith,

Absolutely use pipe dope. Any HD or Lowes will have it in plumbing. I think it's true name might be "thread sealant."

Take the teflon off and remove all of it from the threads. Place a nice even layer of "dope" on the male threads and I bet it'll seal first time you try it.

It normally comes in a squeeze tube for a small amount and in cans if you need a ton of it (you don't).

I use it on every pvc connection larger than 1" and have had very good luck.....it's cheap, too ($1-2)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

A second vote on the pipe dope. Just make sure you get the kind for plastic pipe, as the type for steel pipe can cause a plastic fitting to crack.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Excellent. I will get some today. I have never had such a problem sealing pipes. I was almost to the point of just accepting the small leak but it is grating away at me!
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator