High TA and eating Chlorine

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
FC - 7
cc - .5
CYA- 35-40
TA - 150
PH - 7.6

My TA is a little high, is this anything to be concerned with? I am also going through 1 gallon of 12.5% a day, not sure if they are related. Water is clear and everything seems fine. I also just hooked up a pool heater and started running the water through that, don't think that matters. Thanks

TA is not related chlorine consumption. High TA can cause your PH to rise. Keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8. When it get to 7.8 add muriatic acid to lower it to 7.2. This will slowly reduce your TA. Or you can actively reduce TA by following this process, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

A gallon of 12.5% chlorine adds 6 ppm to 21k gal. That is a little higher than the normal 2-4 ppm per day. Increasing your CYA to 50 will help with FC loss to the sun.

The pool normally has a lot of organics in it each day, leaves, toads, worms, etc. I clean them out each day but with all the rain we have been getting stuff is still getting in. It was a lot worse a month ago when everything was pollinating, the robot couldn't even keep up running it every day. Thanks for the input.

The extra organics you mention could certainly account for the extra couple ppm of chlorine consumption. Especially the toads, they don't get out of the pool to pee unless you train them first. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.