Cloudy pool, and I've committed the cardinal sin.

That is awesome for him to do that! What a difference in the tests! At least you KNOW to not trust pool store testing!

You will have to baby sit your pool if you do add DE to the filter. It is not as common as adding it to sand but it might help. Just be ready to shut it down and clean it up if the pressure goes too high.

Kim

That is awesome for him to do that! What a difference in the tests! At least you KNOW to not trust pool store testing!

You will have to baby sit your pool if you do add DE to the filter. It is not as common as adding it to sand but it might help. Just be ready to shut it down and clean it up if the pressure goes too high.

Kim

+1 ^^^^^^

With no way to backwash a cartridge filter, you have to be REALLY CAREFUL adding the DE. I'd only add it at a rate of 1/4 cup or less at a time (dilute it in a 5 gallon bucket of pool water) and don't let the filter pressure rise by more then 1psi. Once your filter pressure rises by 25% above clean pressure, you're going to wash away all the DE, so you don't need to add too much each time.

Tonight I deep-cleaned all the cartridges with an electric pressure washer - went about 10x faster than my previous hose-only method. There was much gunk, they're like new now. I also dumped in the liquid CYA - it's supposed to look like cream, right? Without any kind of seal I start thinking of the kind of practical jokes people could play...

Considering the small improvement I saw over today as well as my high chlorine levels I'm going to call it a night and see how things stand tomorrow. I'll leave the DE for later, it sounds like maybe it's not a newbie move.

TF-100 ordered. Updates tomorrow - fingers crossed!

Keep the DE out of your filter. You will not need it and you will likely make a mess.

Drop all the peripheral ideas and listen to the good advice above. Keep your chlorine up. Keep your chlorine up. Keep your chlorine up.

Brush and vac as often as necessary. watch the psi on your filter and clean the cartridges if you get a 25% rise in pressure....run the pump 24/7

And, Keep your chlorine up. (Sorry to obnoxious, but I want to make the point.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
never heard of adding DE to a cartridge filter and don't understand the point. the filter will do a fine job of filtering out the dead algae. your problem isn't removing algae right now, its KILLING it. chlorine is the answer. your filter will get the dead stuff out fine.

Hallelujah, I am clear! Well, 95% clear. I have been vacuuming to waste diligently, boosting the swg, and draining the filter housing a few times per day.

20150703_203550.jpg

Now let's see if I can get warm. Heat pump is on 24/7 and the swg is off in anticipation of a pool full of kids tomorrow. Doubt I'll break 80f but at least I'll be safe. Thank you everyone, and especially Mike for his kind gesture. :) :)

Congrats! Love the help in this thread, but why did you turn the SWCG off? Not sure you ever need to turn off your swcg (Only time it needs to be at 0% is an over night test)? Keep it on or your chlorine will be used up and you wont make any more. My SWCG is on (im at 60%) all the time my pump is running, never turned down.

Congrats! Love the help in this thread, but why did you turn the SWCG off? Not sure you ever need to turn off your swcg (Only time it needs to be at 0% is an over night test)? Keep it on or your chlorine will be used up and you wont make any more. My SWCG is on (im at 60%) all the time my pump is running, never turned down.

Good point, I just turned it back on, off of boost. Mine seems to set its own level, currently it's 44%. Until my TF100 comes in, I'm dipsticking it to get a rough idea of my chlorine - so far so good, looks like I'm a hair over ideal. Tomorrow I'll do a little more vacuuming, add some water (I'm a little low from all my waste) and hope this puny heatpump works a miracle.

If the kids don't want to swim after all this...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.