CecilB, new member

Hi guys!
i ran out of the R-0871 so I am just going to add bleach in the a.m. And p.m like I have been and wait for my stuff to come in the mail.
one thing, though, the one hose that goes from the filter to the pump had some kinks in it and now whenever pump is running, it's sucks in where those kinks are. Why?

Hi guys!
i ran out of the R-0871 so I am just going to add bleach in the a.m. And p.m like I have been and wait for my stuff to come in the mail.
one thing, though, the one hose that goes from the filter to the pump had some kinks in it and now whenever pump is running, it's sucks in where those kinks are. Why?
That sounds like something is hooked up wrong. The hose from the pool to the p[ump is suction and could collapse. The hoses from the pump to the filter and the filter to the pool are under pressure, and should never want to collapse. Is there any chance you misplumbed things and are trying to suck through the filter rather than push through it?

it is the hose from the pool to the pump. The hoses from the pump to the filter and then filter to pool are fine - but much more rigid, than the hose from pool to filter. That's why we thought they were sucking in or collapsing.
I'm sorry - I was thinking of the big hole at the top where the first basket is - I called it the filter. Sorry.

so then that is normal?

it is the hose from the pool to the pump. The hoses from the pump to the filter and then filter to pool are fine - but much more rigid, than the hose from pool to filter. That's why we thought they were sucking in or collapsing.
I'm sorry - I was thinking of the big hole at the top where the first basket is - I called it the filter. Sorry.

so then that is normal?
It sounds like the skimmer is clogged. Or the pump is just too big for that hose. I don;t know if it's normal or not, all my plumbing is underground pipe.

Ah. Well, we are trying to remedy it by getting proper hosing. That's the hose that came with the pool, but then we upgraded to the sand filter and swg. But the hose from the skimmer to the pump is the original which is smaller and cheaper.
Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good Morning!

I will suggest the hard PVC to the guys. My husband ordered fittings and was waiting for them to come so he can match up sizes, but it might be better to get the pvc and then get fittings to fit that. I don't know.
But we do need to do something soon because I think circulation is getting slower and slower.
I finally got the R-0871 yesterday. (Fast shipping!) I tested pool last night after a HOT day of swimming:
about 9 pm: FC 17.5 and CC .5
According to poolmath, I added 66 oz. bleach to get FC up to 31. (after some vacuuming)
about 10 pm, I checked - FC was between 27.5 and 29.5. I say between because after sitting for a few seconds, it would get pinker so I'd add another drop - which I did about 4 times. Is that fair?
Then this morning I checked at 6:20 - FC was 32.5! (that's what I mean about poor circulation)
With the same water sample taken from the 6:20 check, I checked at 8:30 this morning just to see what it would read: FC 28.0 and CC .5 as usual.

The thing is is the drops, even though I'm holding it in the proper position, come out inconsistently, so sometimes it seems like two drops come out instead of one, so I count it as two. Is that fair?
That's why I think I get differently numbers, too.

The water looks beautiful.

What do you think?

I would like to start letting the FC drift down to normal levels for SWG and start running that and getting the pH and TA under control - although, I definitely need better circulation for that.

Also, I did put a nylon stocking over the skimmer basket - it collects a ton of stuff - especially the LINT from neighbor kids who wear tee shirts and linty clothes - not stuff made out of bathing suit material.
But the pool water looks wonderful!

Today's supposed to be super hot - 97 - and sunny.

Good Morning!

I will suggest the hard PVC to the guys. My husband ordered fittings and was waiting for them to come so he can match up sizes, but it might be better to get the pvc and then get fittings to fit that. I don't know.
But we do need to do something soon because I think circulation is getting slower and slower.
I finally got the R-0871 yesterday. (Fast shipping!) I tested pool last night after a HOT day of swimming:
about 9 pm: FC 17.5 and CC .5
According to poolmath, I added 66 oz. bleach to get FC up to 31. (after some vacuuming)
about 10 pm, I checked - FC was between 27.5 and 29.5. I say between because after sitting for a few seconds, it would get pinker so I'd add another drop - which I did about 4 times. Is that fair?
Then this morning I checked at 6:20 - FC was 32.5! (that's what I mean about poor circulation)
With the same water sample taken from the 6:20 check, I checked at 8:30 this morning just to see what it would read: FC 28.0 and CC .5 as usual.

The thing is is the drops, even though I'm holding it in the proper position, come out inconsistently, so sometimes it seems like two drops come out instead of one, so I count it as two. Is that fair?
That's why I think I get differently numbers, too.

The water looks beautiful.

What do you think?

I would like to start letting the FC drift down to normal levels for SWG and start running that and getting the pH and TA under control - although, I definitely need better circulation for that.

Also, I did put a nylon stocking over the skimmer basket - it collects a ton of stuff - especially the LINT from neighbor kids who wear tee shirts and linty clothes - not stuff made out of bathing suit material.
But the pool water looks wonderful!

Today's supposed to be super hot - 97 - and sunny.

Don't add an extra drop a little while later. It will turn pink again almost always. Go with the last drop that clears it.

Remember the three criteria to completing the SLAM.

1 water clear
2 cc less than .5
3 you pass the OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test). No more than 1 ppm loss

If you have passed all of those criteria, you are done. You don't want to finish too early!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once it changes color call it good. It can change after it sits for a while for some reason.

Good luck with the hard plumb. Let your husband do it however he is comfortable with. Just make sure you have unions and valves.

You can let your FC drift down. Just keep a close eye on it due to the heavy swimmer load.

I LOVE that the bag is catching all of the lint and stuff from the clothes. I never even though of that as a problem.

You are doing an awesome job!

Kim

all right. Just took another reading:
FC 25.0
CC .5
I added 29 (actually, about a qt.) bleach to get it back up to 31 FC.

Pool water looks sparkly and inviting! Kids got involved in playing inside and have forgotten, for the moment, the pool.

Well, we got the tube fixed on the skimmer to the pump. And I have been keeping chlorine levels up as much as possible- I think I will have more accurate results now that there is good circulation.
We added a bit of water to the pool this morning - but forgot that the hose was in the pool so ended up losing a lot of water to overflow! So I vacuumed the pool, backwashed, and checked the FC, CC and cya.

FC - 24.5
CC - less than .5
cya a little above 60.

I added 32 oz of chlorine - forgot to check it against the cya level. oh well.

Water still looks great - greater now that the pool is vacuumed and there is such awesome suction now!

I will wait for the slam process to be over before I do anything with cya levels - unless you recommend otherwise....

c

The SLAM is easier with lower CYA, so if you planned to lower CYA, it's better to do it early. Then again, your pool isn't that big, so the quantities of bleach aren't staggering, so I'd just keep going with the SLAM. Since you have a SWG you'll want to raise CYA a little after you're all done with the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support